Jong Eun Lee

Articles

Opinion

Two party dialogue creates true progress

For two years I have had the privilege to write as an editorial columnist for The Eagle. As a blue dog Democrat, I have continuously strived to present my sincere, but also balanced, views on political issues. To some, my columns may have been too nuanced and lacking zeal for the Democratic Party line.

Opinion

Obama's populism a fine fit for tough times

Some have told me in the past that "Blue Dog Democrat" is not an accurate description of my ideology. In fact, one has even jokingly accused me of "conservative socialism," as I support the role of the big government. I do not disavow such charge, for the fact is, I do believe the U.

Opinion

Consensus sought on touchy subject

Suppose some politician responds to a question on gay marriage by answering "I passionately support civil rights of individual lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans, but I also strongly support preservation of traditional marriage." How would the interest groups react? Both conservative and liberal groups would likely accuse him of political inconsistency or worse, outright moral hypocrisy.

Opinion

D.C. voting needs creative solution

After years of effort, it appears as if those who have long strived for D.C. voting rights might finally have their wish. The U.S. Senate has scheduled a preliminary vote on Feb. 24 on a measure to give D.C. full voting rights in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Opinion

U.S. needs pragmatic foreign policy

Two years ago, I asked panelists at a Kennedy Political Union forum, "Why is it that whenever the United States intervenes in an international problem, nations accuse her of imperialism, but when the United States chooses not to intervene, they accuse her of indifference and neglect?" Certainly being a global leader is no easy task for the nation - so often the citizens of the world contradictorily demand both assistance and autonomy from the United States.

Opinion

President needs to pick his battles

President Barack Obama faces immense expectations from those in and out of the country, all of whom are waiting for spectacular solutions to the world's problems. However, Obama is hardly the only political leader in history who was elected with high expectations.

Opinion

Take the emotion out of gun debate

Way back, during Pennsylvania's Democratic presidential primary election, many publicly admonished now President-elect Barack Obama for his comments that some people "cling to their guns and religion." Perhaps even more than other social issues like abortion, the right to bear arms has been a very sensitive issue for Americans.

Opinion

President Bush could not please everyone

After eight years, George W. Bush's administration is finally coming to an end. As someone who has both respected and criticized President Bush throughout the years, I have been thinking for some time how I will judge his legacy. While Bush's presidency will continue to be controversial, for me these eight years have demonstrated Bush's failure at centrism; a seemingly strategic amalgamation of policies across the political spectrum has led to an unsustainable, circumscribed political philosophy that perhaps manifested the worst of both political ideologies.

Opinion

Political pendulum will swing to GOP

Obama has won. With these three words, the AU campus (and many parts of the country) erupted in cries of jubilation from millions of Obama supporters who were thrilled that after two years of a long campaign, they have finally brought the "change they want.

Opinion

Democrats in for big gains come November

I still remember the election four years ago when my victorious conservative friends chided me that the Republicans had a bright future as the permanent ruling party, while the out-of-mainstream Democrats were doomed to be a minority party isolated in the liberal pockets of the country.

More articles by Jong Eun Lee