President needs to pick his battles

President Barack Obama faces immense expectations from those in and out of the country, all of whom are waiting for spectacular solutions to the world's problems. However, Obama is hardly the only political leader in history who was elected with high expectations. Many past presidents have governed in the name of "Change", with some being successful and others not so. How will Obama be judged as a president?

In politics, results often matter more than efforts. Regardless of a president's good intentions, the public judges him primarily on what he has actually accomplished. As a result, past presidents have struggled debating whether to maintain an unchangeable political vision at the risk of setbacks or make compromises to achieve visible accomplishments. President Obama too will be forced to face the same struggle, between moderation and transformation.

Certainly either extreme would be detrimental to Obama's presidency. Somewhat inconsistently, the general public wants both progress and stability, wishing for an innovative leader who agrees with their personal views. President Obama needs to stay focused on his agenda, moving neither with haste nor indecision but rather with precision.

Certainly Obama would be tempted to present a panacea of solutions for all the world's problems, from the financial crisis to peace in the Middle East. Yet, every one of those issues will require political commitment and resources. As Obama himself acknowledged, even a single change may take a year, two or even his entire term. Before the restless public, does he want to be judged in 2012 as a leader who endeavored in many things but did not really deliver any thing? More importantly, accomplishing a single agenda - for instance an economic stimulus package - would require a political coalition that would follow his leadership. If Obama simultaneously pushed for economic restructuring (i.e. regulations and taxes) to overcome global warming, the unions and businesses willing to support the economic stimulus, could turn against him, stalling both agendas. Therefore it is imperative for Obama to decide early on how he will define his presidency and stay focused on his key presidential priorities.

The faltering economy was the greatest political concern of the voters in the 2008 election. As an elected executive, Obama's priority should focus heavily on this issue. If the economy continues to falter, even his accomplishments in other areas will not impress the public, who would accuse him of getting sidetracked. Bush Sr. the great victor of the Gulf War lost his reelection campaign because of this very reason. Obama should display strong political leadership in addressing the current economic challenges, reining in the critics, mobilizing allies, and convincing the public of the merits of his solutions.

Obama may be fortunate in that the U.S. public genuinely wants him to succeed in rebuilding the economy. However, if a divisive political issue (say abortion) gains prominence because Obama has made it his part of his prime agenda, it would open the door for overt political attacks from his opponents, severely curtailing his political capacities and spreading public mistrust in his leadership.

Certainly I am not suggesting Obama ignore every political issue except his few priorities. However, there are political battles that need to be fought openly and those with more discretion. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the president revered for his New Deal accomplishments, also quietly banned racial discrimination in federal agencies, while never making it a political issue. Like FDR, Obama must be wise in discerning his political situation, taking big steps on issues that bring public unity and taking smaller steps on issues that could be more vigorously addressed in future. As someone who genuinely wants Obama to succeed, I hope he will be a great president who fulfills the mission of his time and prepares his successors for those in the future.

Jong Eun Lee is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and a liberal columnist for The Eagle. You can reach him at edpage@theeagleonline.com.