Political pendulum will swing to GOP

Obama has won. With these three words, the AU campus (and many parts of the country) erupted in cries of jubilation from millions of Obama supporters who were thrilled that after two years of a long campaign, they have finally brought the "change they want." On the other hand, even at AU there were those who couldn't celebrate, those who were distraught that someone they have opposed is now the president-elect. Yet, in a twist of irony, I want to say to Republicans, "Hang on, your change will come too."

While I have supported Obama throughout this election, I do respect millions of voters who held different views from me and voted accordingly last night. I also express sympathy for many conservatives who may be frustrated that their party leadership (including President Bush) failed to live up to the public mandate they received and squandered eight years of opportunity. While Obama's meteoric rise to the presidency is phenomenal, he was buoyed by the public's deep dissatisfaction with the current administration, an albatross around any Republican who would have run against Obama in this election. Perhaps more than concerns about "What would Obama do?" it is even more pressing for Republicans to ask ... "What should the GOP do?"

While some pundits love to portray one electoral defeat as a deathblow to the losing party, the United States is very much a two-party country. Last night, McCain won 46 percent of the popular vote and the GOP will probably retain their capacity to filibuster in the Senate. The Republican base may have been battered, even fractured, but it still maintains widespread support. Voters certainly wanted change, but Republicans should remain hopeful that not all voters wanted the "liberal" change Democrats proposed.

Defeat is bitter, but it could lead to future success. It was, perhaps, because of lessons from previous defeats that the Democrats ran an efficient campaign in this election. While pundits will continue to analyze why the GOP lost, a key element to its defeat may have been that the GOP failed to inspire the public in this election. The public viewed the party that is supposed to "change Washington" as the "epitome of Washington," mired in hypocrisy and bureaucracy.

Expulsion from power in D.C. could be a blessing in disguise for the GOP - an opportunity to review its failures, regain trust with the grassroots and reemerge as a popular opposition party against the inevitable shortcomings of the new Democratic administration. While the GOP should respect Obama's presidency, they should be a credible, counteracting balance in the national policy debate. In contrast from Obama's priorities, the GOP should communicate its own priorities, arguing not against change but for the "right" change. While a majority of voters supported Obama for president, they do not necessarily agree with all of his social and economic policies.

While the Republicans have suffered in this election, I hope they will grow stronger as a result of their defeat. The time of hardship may stir deep soul-searching among Republicans, but I urge them to persevere, just as we Democrats did after 2004. Training up new leaders, mobilizing its grassroots, being "optimistically innovative" in implementing its core values, the Republicans should be "fired up and ready to act" when the political pendulum swings back in their favor. While I am a Democrat, I appreciate the historical contributions the GOP has made, and I know this party can be so much better than what it has been for the past several years. As I look forward to revitalization of the GOP, our worthy competitor, I would also wait in anticipation for how the Republicans will challenge the records of Obama's presidency in 2012 with their own message for "change."

Jong Eun Lee is a senior in the School of Public Affairs, AU College Democrats vice president and a liberal columnist for The Eagle. You can reach him at edpage@theeagleonline.com.