Beyond the District: exploring Md. and NOVA

Fall semester is finally here and the Washington, D.C. area is overflowing with opportunities, activities and exciting attractions to welcome students back.

Whether you're aching to hit the clubs, craving a weekend getaway, ready to discover a new part of the city or just looking for a way to pass a rainy Saturday, D.C. has something intriguing for you. Use some of these ideas as a starting place for exploring everything the D.C. Metro area has to offer:

Bethesda, Md.

Bethesda has nearly 200 restaurants, 50 clothing stores, 20 art galleries and two movie theaters, according to DowntownBethesda.com. The abundance of eateries, shops and galleries makes Bethesda a one-stop shop for Saturday adventures - rain or shine. Discover unique clothing at Mustard Seed or Montgomery County Thrift Shop, then settle down for soup and salad at La Madeleine French Bakery and Café.

"Bethesda has everything, and it's only two metro stops away," Julia Lewis, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said. "I can't even begin to count how many times we went there for dinner, movies, thrifting, shopping, coffee, cell phone repairs, school projects, everything."

How to get there: Take the Metrorail red line north to the Bethesda stop

Alexandria, Va.

Originally founded in 1749, this city is now a revitalized historic district with 18th and 19th century architecture, brick-lined streets, restaurants, shops, old-style candy and ghost tours, according to the Web site VisitAlexandriaVa.com.

"[Alexandria] is such a great place to eat, shop and visit historic sites like George Washington's church," Chris Dychala, a sophomore in the School of International Service, said. "It's a bit of a walk from the metro stop, but definitely worth the hike."

How to get there: Take the Metrorail blue or yellow Line south to the King Street stop, then walk 10 blocks east.

Rock Creek Park, Washington, D.C. and Md.

Rock Creek Park offers trails for hiking, bicycling, physical fitness, rollerblading and horseback riding in addition to 30 picnic areas, an amphitheater for outdoor concerts, playgrounds, tennis courts and even a planetarium, according to the National Park Services Web site. But don't forget your cell phone! This park also offers cell phone tours through its "Dial and Discover" program.

How to get there: Walk or bike northwest on Nebraska Avenue

Merriweather Post Pavilion

This outdoor music venue in Columbia, Md., offers a diverse selection of music, artists and events. Upcoming shows include The Flaming Lips (August 28), Blink-182, The Bravery, Franz Ferdinand and Girl Talk (August 30), The Killers (August 31) and Counting Crows (September 5).

How to get there: Drive north on I-95 towards Baltimore

Baltimore

Visit Edgar Allan Poe's grave, shop on Antique Row, tour the first metropolitan cathedral in America and take in a panoramic view of the Inner Harbor at the historic Federal Hill Park. Often overshadowed by D.C., Baltimore offers a unique history and unique experience.

How to get there: Take the Maryland Area Rapid Commuter (MARC) train or Amtrak train north to Baltimore

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.