When good men do nothing: Democrat divisions benefit the GOP

Most Republicans look back on the Ronald Reagan era with a considerable amount of nostalgia, and justifiably so, as the man was arguably the greatest president of the 20th century. Republicans usually get most nostalgic for President Reagan when they look at the issues that plague today's Republican party. Of late, however, I have been most nostalgic while watching the Democratic presidential debates.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as staunchly Republican as I have always been. But lately, I would much rather watch the Democratic debates than the Republican ones. In fact, it's not even close. Even the biggest Giuliani supporter can only listen to him reiterate his positions so many times, and while occasionally he, Romney and McCain will exchange some weak jabs, rarely do we see any sort of real conflict. Really, the only reason to watch the Republican debates these days is Ron Paul, and even that is more for entertainment value than anything else.

It's a different story with the Democrats. After the last several debates, I can tell you that, as a Republican, it is an absolute joy to watch them all slit each others' throats. Or, more appropriately, to watch them slit Hillary's throat time and time again. The best part about it is that Hillary is almost certainly going to be the Democrats' nominee, and Obama, Edwards and the rest are doing as good a job digging up dirt on Sen. Clinton as the GOP. Sensing the danger that Hillary's nomination could pose for the Democrats' hopes of regaining the White House in 2008, they have switched from heated but calm exchanges to actively seeking to bring down Clinton at any cost.

It calls to mind President Reagan's 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not attack another Republican. While the Republicans have hardly been perfect when it comes to adhering to this rule, they have at least made an effort. Even the most heated exchanges between Giuliani and Paul simply result in a political feud, with neither making any overt moves to tear the other down. While Romney may receive accusations of flip-flopping on issues, Giuliani may be forced to defend his credentials as a "conservative" and McCain must constantly defend his support of the war, none of the Republican frontrunners has been the victim of such consistent and pointed attacks as Sen. Clinton.

The Democrats may be in need of an 11th Commandment of their own because they are slowly but surely destroying their chances of winning the presidency next year. As I stated in a previous column, nominating Sen. Clinton for the presidency would be a terrible idea in itself. Now, it seems not only are Democratic voters likely to nominate Hillary, but they are poised to nominate a crippled Hillary. She may cross the finish line, but she will still be battered and bruised by the rocks thrown at her along the way by Sens. Edwards and Obama.

So I smile when I turn on these debates. It is a fine legacy that Ronald Reagan left us, and its influence continues to be felt even now that the Gipper has passed away. The non-attacking policy is part of what makes the GOP a more cohesive party than the Democratic Party. Occasionally one will break from the mold (such as Bush's attacks on McCain in during the 2000 race), but for the most part, the 11th Commandment seems to be one of the GOP's greatest strengths. If the GOP candidates continue to do to their best to adhere to it, then when Hillary wins the Democratic nomination, Giuliani or whoever the GOP nominee is can shake Obama's and Edwards' hands for having already taken her out at the knees.

Shane Carley is a freshman in the School of International Service and a conservative columnist for The Eagle.