Case for Competitive Bipartisanship

In America, I am proud to call myself a Democrat and look forward to another Democratic triumph in 2008. Those who know me, however, are surprised by my apparent affinity toward the Republican Party. I have regularly attended College Republicans meetings, been to numerous conservative conferences and often called myself a "Fox News Liberal." Some question why, as a loyal Democrat, I maintain cordial relationship with conservatives.

In response, I point out that despite of our ideological differences, the Republican Party is our crucial political partner in running this nation. I show gratitude toward those in the Republican Party who balance our vision with their own and, through competition, force more accountability in the Democratic Party.

I realize it is hard for many party activists to have kind thoughts about their opposition. Years of political partisanship have increased feelings of resentment and suspicions in both parties. I certainly have sympathy for many of my fellow Democrats who harbor intense antagonism toward the Bush administration. Yet overcoming our personal grudges, I believe the Democrats must acknowledge the necessity of a vibrant Republican Party as beneficial to the nation and to our party.

It is important to distinguish the difference between "incorrect" and "evil," terms that have been used to describe Republicans. As a Democrat, I do believe many Republicans are incorrect on many issues, but I respect them as sincere individuals who are passionate about their concerns. While I may not agree with their judgments, I also respect the conservatives for caring very much about this world and attempting to find solutions to our challenges. Rather than stifling them, the Democrats should be engaging in active debate with the Republicans. If we are right, then the Democrats should be able to persuade the nation to vote for our agendas. If we are not correct on certain issues, then the Democrats should be willing to embrace the correct solutions of the Republicans, just as we adopted the cry for civil rights from the Party of Lincoln.

The Democratic Party prides itself as being an agent for progress. However, in attempt to bring about a change, the progressives sometimes damaged the traditional virtues of this nation. Our promotion of more cultural tolerance led to unintended rise of violence, abortion and drug use. Compassionate aid to the poor provided opportunity for many, but also imprisoned others in a culture of dependence. The source of popularity for conservatism comes from this very shortcoming of our progressive agendas. While it is understandable that Democrats are frustrated by the challenge from the Republicans, we should also realize the concerns raised by the conservatives are very real, and if the Democrats fail to address them, then the Republicans by default would use the voters' concerns to their advantage

By no means am I saying the Democrats should confirm to the philosophy of conservatism. We need to be equally vigorous in pointing out the fallacies of the Republican agendas. It is true America is already a great nation, but there's so much more work we need to do to tackle the dark side of our society. Materialism, pollution, racism, crime and the breakdown of family structure are issues that will not go away, and in opposition to the laissez-faire stance of conservative/libertarianism the Democrats should challenge the public to work together as a nation resolve these issues. While patriotism is a virtue, the Democrats should rebuke misguided Republican policies made in the name of patriotism and promote foreign policies that would bring real domestic security and international respect.

Nonetheless, the success of progressive vision requires not only Democrats' passion but also the willingness of Republicans to point out the errors and hypocrisies of those who strive for progress. Progressivism without a conservative challenge is as dangerous as a car without a brake, for reformers can easily neglect the terrible side effects caused by their own reforms.

Like the two wings of a bald eagle, the GOP and Democratic Party complement each other through their distinct political philosophies. As the '08 election approaches, I look forward to my party's energetic campaign to bring about a change and innovation in this nation, but I also hope in the midst of partisan competition, my fellow Democrats remember how important it is for us to have a worthy rival who could hold us accountable, restrain our excesses and remind us the virtue of being humble and listening to the concerns of those who may not share our agendas, but do share same love for this nation.

Jong Eun Lee is a sophomore in the

School of Public Affairs and a liberal

columnist for The Eagle.