Progressives: Don't forget your roots

Last weekend, I had an opportunity to attend CPAC, the largest conservative conference in the United States. Featuring high-profile conservative celebrities such as Newt Gingrich, Sean Hannity and Phyllis Schlafly, the conference inspired the attendants to stay true to the authentic conservative values and stand up against the liberal challenges. While by no means endorsing conservatism, during the conference I began to wonder why some of the values preached at CPAC belonged exclusively to the conservatives.

We progressives pride ourselves as being agents for change. Progressives have long believed that the United States can be better and healthier country through visionary individuals who use the power of the government to promote justice and reforms. However, change merely for the sake of change can lead to terrible errors. Often in their zeal to change the United States, progressives have neglected some of the old values that made the United States a great nation, values that progressives still need to carry forth their agendas. Progressives' ideal for peace, compassion and tolerance is admirable, but it should also be balanced by the traditional values of security, liberty and morality, for without the virtue of these old values, progressivism will fail.

Conservatism emphasizes faith, family, flag and freedom as foundations for a healthy society. While I criticize how the conservatives misapplied their principles in the government, I am also concerned with progressives who hastily judge these traditional values to be irrelevant. Not only do they take the risk of being portrayed as cultural elites; the fact is governmental policies that tear down the traditional social framework often undermine the effectiveness of the policies themselves to bring about a real social progress.

While I acknowledge the role of leadership the government should play in promoting social justice, without the willingness of the people themselves to take action, such leadership can only have a limited effect. Contrary to many progressives' mistrust, traditional social institutions play a huge role in motivating the people to strive for change in their environment. Progressives in government should not view religion or family as rivals but rather as vital partners for building a virtuous society.

I realize there are many progressives who feel constrained by what they perceive to be outdated values. However, I point out that without some of these traditional values, the modern progressivism may never have materialized. It was because of their love for the United States that many progressives wanted this nation to become a beacon of hope for other nations. Through their conviction in the dignity of an individual many progressives fought for human rights here and abroad. If in our quest to make the United States a better nation the progressives forget the very sources of our inspiration, I do fear that our vision would become corrupted as did communism in Soviet Union. Progressives should not be ashamed of their adherence to the traditional values of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness but rather fully embrace as part of their values, for these values are essential to implementing progressive reforms in America.

Challenges facing the United States today are very real and progressives should promote responsible government that protects liberty, equality and security of the people, while regaining America's international respect abroad.

However, sometimes we progressives should remind ourselves the purpose of our agendas. The progressives should be wary of their own policies that actually harm the very people they were intended to serve. Intellectual dogma can lead to terrible errors and therefore we should be honest enough to examine whether some of our agendas are really making America more progressive.

Any political reform that cannot inspire American people themselves would ultimately fail and progressives should examine whether our reforms really connect with the traditional values of the American people. Perhaps this is the greatest reason that distinguishes progressives from revolutionaries. Revolutionaries insist present society is beyond healing and only through the wonderful ideology of the few elites can it be saved. Progressives should believe the society already has great forces of good that should be nurtured and conserved to further improve our society. I certainly believe there's room for much reform in the present United States, but I also believe the reforms should be dedicated to reconstruction, not destruction of the values that brought strength to this society in the past should continue to do so in future.