SIS Career Center holds advising meetings in Dav

In an effort to reach more students, the School of International Service Career Center is now holding weekly advising hours at the Davenport lounge.

The program, which started Feb. 9, has become so successful that it is being extended from March 16 to a later undecided date, said Olya Vinnik, SIS career advisor.

"I think it's a great way to meet student needs, but to meet their needs in a way that works for them," SIS internship advisor Lochlann Boyle said.

The Career Center sees 2,000 to 3,000 students per year, with 6,000 total appointments, said Lenore Webb, School of Communication career advisor. That is about 30 percent of the student body.

However, Vinnik said the center still has students who don't come in. "That's why we need to take it to them," she said.

Vinnik said the program was started "to reach out to students who otherwise wouldn't use the Career Center because they don't understand the need."

Christina Hernandez, a junior in SIS, tried to write her resume through examples when she realized she needed help.

"Nobody pays attention to their resumes until they are a junior or senior, and then you're freaking out and realize you need help," Hernandez said.

One of two internship advisors is also available for consultation during drop-in hours.

Generally, students like the drop-in hours at the Davenport.

"It shows the career advisors are cool, relaxed and approachable people," said Maike Moellers, a graduate student in SIS.

Sessions generally last 10 minutes, depending on how many students are waiting, Vinnik said. If students come in for a quick question and realize they need a lot of help, Vinnik advises them to schedule an appointment.

"I can't get them a job in those 10 minutes, but I can help them start," Vinnik said.

Boyle added that flexibility in speaking to advisors is also helpful. If there are a lot of students waiting, the advisor can speed up the appointments, but if there are few or no students waiting, they can spend more time with the students, he said.

Vinnik said she generally sees between nine and 15 students each week. The number of students coming each week may be lower because students have the safety of knowing they can see an advisor when they need to, she said.

Thirty percent of students who use the SIS Career Center are SIS students and appointments generally have to be made a month in advance, Vinnik said.

The Davenport was chosen because it is in the SIS building and a place where students hang out, Vinnik said.

"I like it a lot because I'm always around here so I can just stop on buy," said Christopher Root, a graduate student in SIS.

"It's a great way to meet a population of students who we might not otherwise meet if we stayed in the Career Center," Boyle said.

Another positive aspect of the program is that students do not have to feel like they waste their time while waiting for an advisor, Vinnik added.

"Waiting is not that frustrating because you can do your own stuff," Vinnik said. "People hang out in Davenport anyway."

Students also like the atmosphere of Davenport.

"It's a nice relaxing environment and you can get something done without having to waste a lot of time to go through the process of making an appointment," said Tiffany Welch, a senior in SIS.

Boyle said the program has been very successful and they would like to continue it next year.

Ana Carmen, a graduate student in SIS, said she advises students to come prepared to Davenport with a list of questions to ask.

The Career Center advisors offer students career and internship advice ranging from resume and cover letter critiques, networking with companies and alumni, the AU Career Web and various workshops, Vinnik said. The Career Center also hosts job fairs twice a year, mock interviews and on-campus

recruiting.

For students who are not sure what they want to do, the Career Center offers self-assessment tests and

workshops.

Students can schedule an appointment with their specific career or internship advisor via phone or Internet. Scheduled appointments last for an hour. Students can see the Career Center for up to a year after they graduate.

According to Vinnik, the drop-in program was piloted last December. They did not receive a lot of response because they did not advertise it well. Vinnik said they remarketed the program, which seemed to work better.