Library promotes IM reference service this holiday

Bender Library is promoting its instant messaging reference service this Valentine's Day in the library with student appreciation, stickers and candy.

The pilot project with instant messaging virtual reference began on Jan. 30 and will continue through May 1.

"We want to have a nice event for the students to have a treat on us," said Nick Banovetz, assistant to the AU librarian. "We want to make sure that the library is a welcoming environment."

The library's focus this Valentine's Day is on the new reference tool, where students can get research help from AU librarians from the comfort of their own computers.

"I think we're all aware of the usage of instant messaging services with communication," said Alex Hodges, librarian for the School of Education.

"It's such a wonderful supplement for communication within the AU Community...there are so many online sources that we'd like to instruct our users to use."

The service is intended to reach out to students who otherwise can't, or wouldn't, come into the library for reference help.

"The advantage of this service is the off-campus quick access, or the immediacy factor," explained AU reference librarian Anne Osterman. "It makes it a lot easier for students, especially if they're working from home remotely."

Hodges said IM is just another method of reaching out.

"We see [the library on AIM] as another communication tool," said Hodges. "Just like the phone, just like e-mail, just like talking to [librarians] in person."

"It is great that AU is using all of this technology to accommodate students. I think that the reference librarian online is a good idea in theory. If students use it for what it is supposed to be used for it will work, but it shouldn't replace going into the librarian and asking for assistance," said Bradley Swain, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences. "I really don't know how that is going to truly help the students learn how to do research. In the long run, convenient and practical, yes, but better [than learning how to research], no."

Although the service is only available through AIM, the library could expand its services through other online chatting services like MSN messenger, if needed. Currently, "AIM has the largest user base that we're aware of," said Osterman. Gallaudet and George Washington universities have similar online librarian services.

"I think [the library on AIM] is a great idea," said Erin Kelley, a junior in the School of International Service. "Especially when you have a quick question but don't want to go all the way to the library for the answer."

Librarians are online from 1:00-3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, as well as randomly throughout the week when they have time to sign on. The library's online status can be found at ww.library.american.edu.