Eagle Endowment awards grant for community service

The Eagle Endowment, an Office of Campus Life-sponsored opportunity that gives a $1,000 grant to a member of the AU community for public or community service, recently awarded the annual prize to Monique Toussaint, a senior in Kogod School of Business and Alpha Nu Omega's Iota Chapter.

The winner will host Kids2College, a program that will allow D.C. sixth graders to explore athletic-related careers during "Athletic Career Exploration Day" in the spring, according to a press release.

"Eagle Endowment is open to undergraduate, graduate and Washington College of Law students to receive a $1,000 for an original idea for public or community service," said Mark Seaman, executive director of the Eagle Endowment.

Kids2College was created as part of the Dr. Martin Luther King Grant. This grant is given to community or public service projects centered on human and civil rights.

Without the Eagle Endowment, Alpha Nu Omega would not be able to host the event because "Kids2College is a non profit organization that relies solely on donations and grants. Iota Chapter did not have the funds to solely fund the event," Toussaint said.

"D.C. should be one of the country's greatest cities but with all of its problems it's hard for those who live here to realize that," Seaman said. "But with Monique's program she's looking to get into the lives of these student's early on and I think that's really important."

Five applications for the Eagle Endowment were submitted this year. A committee of three students, one faculty member and one staff member decided who received the prize.

The committee looks for the impact the project will have on the AU or D.C. community, the sustainability of the project and its feasibility, Seaman said.

Toussaint's project was picked because of its strong collaboration with other departments at AU, Seaman said. It will also work with Howard University's chapter of Alpha Nu Omega.

"It will create a substantial impact on youth by letting them know the type of opportunities out there," Seaman said. "It's going to shape the lives of those who attend the workshops."

Alpha Nu Omega wants the AU community to help with the event by volunteering or looking for professionals to possibly work at the program, Toussaint said.

"Together we can turn ideas into action and action into service," Toussaint said. "The future of children depends on it."

Eagle Endowment began in 2001 with the money left over from Project Playground. Members of the class of 2001 built a playground in southeast D.C. The $12,500 left over from the project founded Eagle Endowment, Seaman said.

"We can only spend the money earned from the interest of our endowment," Seaman said.

Usually the account is $3,000 to $5,000 and gives one or two grants per year. They hope to be able to fund five grants next year because of the amount of fundraising they are doing, Seaman said.

Previous Eagle Endowment grants include 2002 D.C. Youth in Government, Habitat for Humanity and the American Classic 5K, The Eagle previously reported. The 2003 grant was given to Samantha Facciolo for College Experience Weekend. Facciolo brought 12 immigrant Latino high school students to AU for workshops where they learned to apply for college and financial aid. Paul Glick received the 2004 grant to re-open Webb Elementary School's library.

"Eagle Endowment is still a very young organization and we have come a long way," Seaman said. "I think this year and next will be our greatest"