Campus Brief: Cultural conference offers business advice

The International Management Institute will host "Enhancing Cross-Cultural Effectiveness: Strategies and Skills for International Business, Education, Training and Development Professionals" on March 10 and 11 at AU.

Keynote speakers will include AU professor Akbar Ahmed, 2004 D.C. professor of the year and Ibn Khaldun chair of Islamic Studies, and Clarence Page, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist with the Chicago Tribune.

"Today's unprecedented global interdependence requires high levels of skill in communicating and working across cultures," said David Bachner, a scholar-in-residence in the School of International Service, the conference Web site reported.

"The most successful organizations...have devised sound strategies for building cross-cultural skills into the work force."

The conference includes topics like "Building Intercultural Collaboration," "Personal and Organizational Security in a Global Age," "Investing in Africa's Human Capital" and "Cross-Cultural Marketing."

The conference is available for graduate credit. It will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m on both days.

For more information on fees and details, see www.imi.american.edu/conferences.