Campus Brief: SIS undergrads host symposium

The School of International Service is hosting its eighth annual Undergraduate Research Symposium Thursday, during which undergraduate students will form and moderate panels and participate as analysts.

"This extraordinary event is completely organized by SIS students and highlights significant student-conducted research on pressing topics in today's world," said Nanette Levison, senior associate dean of SIS. "It also highlights SIS freshmen, serving as chairs [and] moderators ... so that next year they can present their own research."

More than 50 SIS students are involved in the symposium, Levinson said. Topics include "The Challenge of the EU's Human Rights Policy Abroad," "Chile and the NAFTA Countries: Where are They Going?" "Deciphering the Indus Valley's Mysterious Script" and "Hispanic Gangs in the United States." Presentations and discussions will be held in various rooms in Mary Graydon Center.

"The Undergraduate Symposium offers a great opportunity for students to hear from other students about their field of study and about topics they may not get in class from a different source than a professor," said Ben Sander, SIS Undergraduate Council president. "This makes the symposium that much more fun and interesting."

Levinson agreed. "It is a lot of fun. ... This is not common on other campuses, but reflects SIS student commitment to excellence in research and public dialogue," she said.