Alex Hoffman

SG president candidate

School of Public Affairs junior Alex Hoffman seeks to reform AU’s student policies as president.

“I will create a group that includes members of the Greek community, club leaders, members of Student Government and the administration to discuss the feasibility of moving this campus toward a more student-friendly conduct code,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman is running for SG president on a ticket with vice presidential candidate Caroline Ladzinski. If elected, he wants to establish a commission that would evaluate AU transitioning to a wet campus.

Since he does not hold a position in SG, Hoffman said he hopes to bring fresh ideas to the organization.

If elected, Hoffman proposes making the third floor of the Mary Graydon Center available for all students. Additionally, Hoffman seeks to create an SG liaison between students and AU Central.

As a founding member of Fossil Free AU, Hoffman plans to collaborate with other organizations to negotiate divestment from fossil fuels to the Board of Trustees.

He also said he hopes to give students a voice in the annual budget process and advocate for the lowest possible tuition increases as a Pell Grant-eligible student attending AU on only student loans.

“I am sick of people running on lofty promises and buzzwords,” Hoffman said. “I wanted to run a campaign on realistic achievable goals that will help make a better student government and a better American University.”

Hoffman is a native of New York and a die hard Yankees fan. He hopes to work in politics surrounding healthcare, the environment and education.

Return to other candidates