AUSG-01.PNG

Student Government passes resolution condemning University for SJP disciplinary probation

Resolution calls for University transparency over its decision and speech policies

Sunday’s vote calling for the University to divest from Israel wasn’t Student Government’s first action regarding student advocacy on the conflict in Gaza: a week prior, on April 14, the Senate unanimously voted to pass a resolution condemning American University’s decision to place AU Students for Justice in Palestine on disciplinary probation for violating the indoor protest ban

Resolution-017, called for the University administration to reverse the disciplinary probation placed on SJP and to acknowledge the struggles of Muslim students. 

Senator-at-Large Kaden Ouimet, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, drafted the resolution after hearing about SJP’s probation. He said the resolution aims to achieve four main goals: condemn the University’s decision to place SJP on probation, call for a reversal of the decision, increase transparency on University regulations and show that SG stands in solidarity with Palestinians and their allies.  

“AUSG condemns American University’s probation of AU SJP and believes it to be a deliberate attempt to suppress awareness of Arab and Muslim struggles on campus and internationally,” the resolution said. 

Ouimet said the University needs to be clearer about regulations on indoor protesting and postering. 

“If we have a good understanding of the rules, regulations and laws, we can have a decent understanding of how to use them, abide by them and if necessary, how to defend ourselves,” Ouimet said. “Transparency is not just about seeing the information, but also making it accessible.” 

The Jan. 25 announcement of the new policies also cited a new leadership position in the Division of Student Affairs to “ensure compliance.” Ouimet said he believes creating a position to enforce these new policies gives a single person a lot of power.   

“Bringing in a new person for leadership was something in that email that many people overlooked,” Ouimet said. “But it's somebody who has a massive amount of concentrated power, who's going to have a say on campus and depending on what that person's views are, it opens the door to a lot of selective enforcement.”  

Ouimet said the resolution also aims to recognize the students who are impacted by the current Israel-Hamas war. 

“This resolution brings awareness to the struggles that Muslims, Palestinians and Arabs are facing on campus and internationally,” Ouimet said. “I would say that's the most impactful part.”  

Senator for the School of Communication Shaazma Akbar, a junior in SOC, sponsored the resolution written by Ouimet. Ouimet and Akbar noted that they are the only two Muslim students in SG, and they said this comes with a certain responsibility to represent their community on campus. Akbar said part of that responsibility was helping push this resolution.  

“It was really important for me to be able to sponsor this resolution,” Akbar said. “Seeing what’s happening to Palestinians and on campus, we needed to help.”  

According to Ouimet, the resolution aims to gain the attention of administrators and incoming President Jonathan Alger to reaffirm previous speech policies. 

“We don't only believe that Jon Alger has the power, but new Eagles have the power,” Ouimet said. “These are the individuals who are going to be contributing their tuition to the University at a time when it desperately needs money, so [new students] do have that leverage.”  

His statement echoes the sentiments of two recent protests organized by SG, including a protest on New Eagle Day at which protesters chanted “Who has the power? New Eagles have the power!” Both protests called on the University to rescind the Jan. 25 updated policies.

Akbar said she noticed how the indoor protest ban and SJP’s disciplinary probation have made some future students wary of the University’s environment, and she said she believes many students value their right to speak freely on campus. 

“I remember giving a tour to a group of Palestinian students not too long ago, and their biggest concern was, ‘Will I be able to express myself here?’” Akbar said.  

She also said it is important to prioritize Palestinian voices following the month of Ramadan and the struggles that came with it for some. 

“Ramadan is about going back to your roots and building community, and I’ve seen my Palestinian friends feel so blessed, but there are people in other countries suffering and they don’t get that same peace that you should feel during Ramadan,” Akbar said.  

Ouimet said this resolution comes down to the University’s former reputation of prioritizing students’ right to free speech and expression. 

“I'd love for the administration to recognize the almost centuries-worth of vibrant activism we have had on this campus,” Ouimet said. “If students feel free to speak up or speak out against injustice, then university students across the United States can stand up.” 

This article was edited by Kathryn Squyres, Zoe Bell, Tyler Davis and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Isabelle Kravis and Ariana Kavoossi. 

campuslife@theeagleonline.com