TDRstock.jpg

More health and safety issues found in inspection reports from DC Health and third-party firm

Issues found at Einstein Bros. Bagels, Terrace Dining Room and Mary Graydon Center were addressed and rectified

Recent food inspection reports from Subway, Einstein Bagels, Terrace Dining Room and the Mary Graydon Center show violations in inspections from the D.C. Department of Health and an independent firm used by American University. 

The reports were found on a new website intended to provide the community with “comprehensive and accurate information” about the health and safety of on-campus dining. The new website was announced on Jan. 25, according to an email to the AU community from Chief Financial Officer Bronté Burleigh-Jones. 

Subway was inspected on Dec. 13, and received a risk rating of two out of five for improper temperatures and unsanitary hand washing. Four of the six findings were corrected on site, according to the website. 

Einstein Bagels was marked down for milk being left out. The University said that AU Kitchen took corrective actions in both establishments, according to the inspection. 

Both MGC and TDR received no food safety related markdowns. 

The website allows viewers to access food safety reports dating back to September 2021. The Dec. 13 inspection of Subway was conducted by DC Health, and the Einstein Bagels inspection was conducted by Ecosure, another independent firm.

“The new website and signage will provide our community with comprehensive and accurate information about the health and safety of our campus eateries from these inspections,” Burleigh-Jones wrote in the email. 

This step is part of AU’s promise to increase transparency after previous health and safety violations. 

On Dec. 7 and Nov. 29, The Eagle previously reported on health inspection reports for MGC, Starbucks, TDR and Subway. 

csapilewski@theeagleonline.com

This story was edited by Abigail Pritchard, Jordan Young and Nina Heller. Copy editing by Isabelle Kravis, Sarah Clayton and Leta Lattin.