Kogod-stock.jpg

American University names David Marchick as new dean of Kogod School of Business

Marchick will assume the position August 15

In an email to the American University community on July 13, Provost Peter Starr announced that business and academia veteran David Marchick has been selected as the new dean of the Kogod School of Business. 

Marchick succeeds John Delaney, who served as dean of Kogod and a professor of management since 2016. Delaney’s departure as Dean was announced to the AU community in December.

Marchick previously served as the managing director of the Carlyle Group for 12 years, and most recently, as the chief operating officer and President Joe Biden’s senior appointee to the United States International Development Finance Corporation. 

“During his time at the DFC, he managed agency priorities; oversaw business operations; led the formation of a strategic plan; and coordinated with the White House, other agencies, and the board of directors chaired by the Secretary of State,” Starr wrote in the email.

In 2020, Marchick was chosen as the director of the Center for Presidential Transition, a nonpartisan source for presidential candidates to prepare for a new administration, or a second term. Marchick also held several positions under the Bill Clinton administration, including deputy United States assistant attorney general. 

Marchick’s career in academia has also been noteworthy, authoring two peer-reviewed books, including, “The Peaceful Transfer of Power: An Oral History of America’s Presidential Transitions,” which is set to release this October. Since 2019, he has served as an adjunct professor at Dartmouth University’s Tuck School of Business 

Marchick will officially join the University on August 15. 

“It is an especially exciting time for Dean Marchick to join the Kogod School of Business,” the email said. “The school is a leader in business education thanks to its accomplished faculty, talented staff, and passionate student body.” 

bjohansen@theeagleonline.com