Kogod-stock.jpg

BREAKING: Kogod Dean John Delaney to step down in June

Departure is latest in changes to University leadership

Kogod School of Business Dean John Delaney will step down from his position in June 2022, Provost Peter Starr announced in an email to the American University community Tuesday. 

Delaney has served as dean for six years. Under his leadership, the Kogod School of Business climbed in the US News and World Report Rankings, increased faculty diversity and expanded learning opportunities for students, Starr wrote in the email. 

“John’s commitment to inclusive excellence has yielded Kogod’s most diverse faculty body yet, growing minority faculty representation in the school from 23% to 34%, increasing its proportion of women faculty, and establishing the school’s first Assistant Dean for Diversity and Inclusion,” Starr wrote. 

Delaney will return to the Kogod faculty after taking a sabbatical, according to Starr’s email. Starr did not name an interim dean in his email but said the University will announce a search for a new dean in the coming weeks. 

“During his tenure, John has led Kogod with a clear focus on excellence, diversity, innovation, and commitment to the school’s students, while serving as a valued member of AU’s senior leadership team,” Starr wrote. 

Delaney’s departure is the latest in a number of administrative changes from the University. In December, The Eagle reported significant turnover in the University’s deans throughout several schools. In May, Sam Fullwood III became the new dean of the School of Communication. Roger A. Fairfax Jr. was named the new dean of the Washington College of Law in April. In May 2022, School of International Service Dean Christine Chin will step down to take a sabbatical leave.

nheller@theeagleonline.com