papscun_campusempty3.jpg

AU to modify operations Thursday due to inclement weather

Coronavirus testing to halt for the third day in three weeks

In-person classes are canceled, and the fitness centers, academic buildings, health center, dining and Bender Library will be closed Thursday due to inclement weather, the University announced via email blast and text alert Wednesday evening. 

Virtual classes, along with any online meetings and remote work for staff will continue as normal, AU said in the email. 

This marks the third day in three weeks that the Student Health Center paused coronavirus testing for inclement weather, after it closed testing on Feb. 1 and 2 due to snow. During this period, on-campus residents who are required to get tested twice weekly were exempted from one test, said Dr. David Reitman, the medical director of the Student Health Center, in an email to The Eagle. 

“Because of the snow, we couldn’t do testing on Monday or Tuesday so on-campus students were advised that they only were going to be tested once,” he wrote. 

AU’s email blast confirmed the once-weekly testing exemption will be reinstated for this week. The exemption also applies to faculty and staff not in the essential worker category, the email said, as long as they avoid contact with others while on campus or at their work site. 

According to the Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang, heavy snow and ice are expected throughout the region Thursday, hindering travel. Anywhere from one to four inches of snow and sleet are expected in the District. 

The National Weather Service put out a winter storm warning from 3 a.m. Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday. The Weather Gang called the weather “the most significant winter storm this year” for the region.  

The Market food pantry will remain open, the email said, as will research labs, residence hall desks and the Mary Graydon Center. The shuttle service will run on a modified schedule subject to the weather conditions. 

“We will continue to monitor the situation and will communicate any changes to our operating status, services, or activities,” AU wrote in the email. 

dpapscun@theeagleonline.com