Satire Seagle

Senior desperately trying to convince friends her semester abroad in France was inspiration for ‘Emily in Paris’

There’s a lot of people named Emily that may have been in Paris at some point

The following piece is satire and should not be misconstrued for actual reporting. Any resemblance to a student, staff or faculty member is coincidental.

Senior Emily Samuels has spent the last few weeks desperately trying to convince her friends that her semester spent in France last year was the inspiration for the hit Netflix show 'Emily in Paris.' 

“There’s actually an accent on the end of Samuels,” the communication studies and public relations double major reminded reporters via email. 

But Samuels’ friends are not so convinced, pointing out that she wasn’t even studying in Paris in the first place, and gets a headache after half a glass of wine. 

“Yeah, there’s literally no truth to anything she’s saying,” junior Ashlyn Garcia said. “First of all, Emily was in Nice, not Paris. And second, she is constantly confusing baguettes with croissants.”

Friends also say she has never dated anyone named Gabriel, let alone anyone who spoke a word of French. 

“She went on like two dates with some guy named Mark from UMD who was always so high he could barely string a sentence together,” friend Becca Stevens said . 

Still, Samuels has continued to double down, going so far as to claim that Vogue editor herself Anna Wintour complimented her outfit during Paris Fashion Week. 

“Maybe she was Anna Wintour’s twin or something,” Samuels added. “Whoever it was, she looked mostly, exactly, kind of like Anna Wintour.”

But friends question Samuels’ claims that her encounter with Wintour got her the job opportunity at a prestigious French marketing firm. 

“That’s not even what happened in the show,” Stevens said. “Emily isn’t from Chicago or anywhere in the Midwest, her parents literally live in Bethesda.”

Representatives for the marketing firm that Samuels claimed to have worked at during the semester declined requests for an interview, but said that they had no record of Samuels’ employment with them. 

“We don’t usually hire 20 year olds with zero marketing experience,” a representative from the company wrote in an email. 

Samuels says that her experience abroad was the “loose” inspiration for the show, and that people shouldn’t get too bogged down in the details. But, she doesn’t let her critics get to her. 

“C’est la vie,” Samuels said. “It’s like, don’t dip your baguette in my espresso, you know?”

Bobbie Armstrong is a senior in the School of Communication and the satire editor at The Eagle.

barmstrong@theeagleonline.com