upass

BREAKING: AU announces that the U-Pass program will not run in the spring

WMATA previously suspended the program for the fall

The U-Pass program will remain suspended for the upcoming spring 2021 semester due to the continued impact of the coronavirus, according to an email sent on Monday to the American University community. 

This announcement comes after the U-Pass program was previously suspended for the fall 2020 semester, which has affected transportation for many AU students who relied on the U-Pass to commute to work. In 2016, AU students voted in favor of the program, which provides unlimited rides on the Metrorail and Metrobus for $136 per semester.

“The U-Pass program has become part of the AU student experience and we understand this decision affects the transportation options for students residing in the Washington, DC area,” wrote Dan Nichols, the assistant vice president of Risk, Safety and Transportation. “We consulted extensively with WMATA in pursuit of a modified program for the spring, but ultimately WMATA decided it was not a viable option.”

Any previously issued U-Pass cards are no longer valid, and new cards will not be distributed in the spring semester. However, the University is still communicating with WMATA and intends to update students as more plans are made, Nichols wrote.

Nichols directed students to the WMATA website to find more information on service levels and updates on ongoing COVID-19 recovery efforts, as well as the U-Pass email for students seeking additional information. 

smattalian@theeagleonline.com, dignacio@theeagleonline.com