1.khalid2

Khalid wraps up Apple’s Up Next concert series on the steps of Carnegie Library

The concert series featured live performances by rising artists in Apple stores around the world

Apple logos dazzled behind singer-songwriter Khalid at the newly renovated Apple Carnegie Library as he delivered the final performance for the tech company’s Up Next Live concert series on Aug. 24. 

The concert brought the 21-year-old musician and his fans together for an intimate performance in a unique setting. As Beats 1 DJ Ebro Darden introduced Khalid to the stage, he noted the history and significance of the library’s location. 

“This was one of the first public libraries. It’s also one of the first desegregated buildings,” Darden said. 

Khalid is one of the first artists to perform in the space since the renovated library reopened May 11. 

The performance was a part of Apple’s Up Next Live series, a live extension to the Apple Music Up Next program that highlights rising artists in a playlist or solo feature.

Performances took place in Apple stores around the world in July and August and featured seven musicians who had previously been Apple Up Next artists, including Bad Bunny, Omar Apollo, King Princess, Lewis Capaldi, Daniel Caesar and Ashley McBride.

During his hourlong set, Khalid performed popular songs from his recent “Free Spirit” album, including tracks like “Talk” and “Better,” and hits from his debut album such as“8teen” and “Young Dumb & Broke.” 

While Khalid’s catchy lyrics drew attendees in, his down-to-earth and charismatic demeanor kept them engaged all night long. He sported carefree dance moves and a warm smile throughout the entire performance and pointed to different audience members as he danced along with them, even waving to onlookers on apartment verandas that faced the venue.

Khalid’s performance and the other Up Next Live artists’ performances will soon be available for Apple subscribers as a Live EP. 

music@theeagleonline.com