Sunday, June 23, 2024
khalidd.jpg

Khalid to perform at Apple's Carnegie Library space as a part of the "Up Next Live" series

The intimate performance will be followed by a Q&A with the artist

Award-winning musician Khalid will perform at the Apple Carnegie Library on Saturday, Aug. 24. The performance is a part of “Apple’s Up Next Live,” a series of seven shows from different featured artists.   

“‘Apple Music Up Next’ is a monthly program that showcases new artists in the world with a curated playlist across genres from all over the world,” Billboard says. The artists participating in the “Up Next Live” series have been featured as Apple Music Up Next artists in the playlist or monthly feature. This year 2019 marks the first year of the Up Next Live series.

Khalid grew up in  Fort Stewart, Georgia, but moved around a lot because his mother was in the army.  He began writing and creating music in high school and uploaded his early recordings to SoundCloud, catching the attention of A&R executive Tunji Balogun. Balogun  later signed the artist to major-label RCA Records

In 2016, Khalid’s single “Location”  marked his strong emergence onto the music scene. The track reached  number one on Billboard’s U.S. Adult R&B chart. He released his second single “Young, Dumb, and Broke” a few months later in February 2017, a month before the release of his first album, “American Teen.” 

Multiple collaborations, a VMA award, and a sold-out tour later, Khalid’s February  single “Talk” topped the charts. His second studio album “Free Spirit” was released in March  and debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart. 

Even though the album received mixed reviews, some stand behind Khalid’s talent, praising the maturation that shines through in “Free Spirit.” The album showcases a “richer” and “more lustrous sound”, Variety says. Khalid’s ability to be “genreless” is also notable on this album.

Apple’s Up Next Live concert series will wrap up with Khalid as the final performance. Attendees can anticipate an intimate performance followed by a Q&A with the artist. For more information on the event, visit its website here

dharvey@theeagleonline.com  

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.