lovelytheband

Lovelytheband’s soothing lyrics inspire D.C. on Friday night

The up-and-coming band sold out the Rock and Roll Hotel on Oct. 12

Anyone in the intimate venue watching lovelytheband would be surrounded by an uplifting and positive sound flowing from the stage. The rising three-piece band performed at the Rock and Roll Hotel in Washington, D.C. on Friday, Oct. 12.

After forming in Los Angeles in 2016, lovelytheband has made their name in the music industry with their well-known single “Broken,” which topped multiple “Billboard” charts at No. 1 for several consecutive weeks.

Opening with “pity party,” the band’s outstanding guitar notes urged the crowd to dance immediately. After performing the popular songs “make you feel pretty” and “i like the way,” lead singer Mitchy Collins began talking to the crowd in a more intimate way than I have seen at most concerts. He began by telling the audience about their visit with the kids at the children’s hospital in D.C. that day, shared his love for the fall on the East Coast and talked about how thankful he was to have a sold-out show to perform to.

Donning sunglasses for the second half of the show, the band covered Ginuwine’s “Pony,” a favorite party song which caused everyone to scream and sing along.

The band exuded a very authentic feeling as they sang and conversed with the crowd. Before performing their hit single “Broken,” Collins addressed the crowd, saying, “Good people coming together for the love of music to spread love and positivity is what is important. I truly believe if you give love out of every inch of you we’ll reach people and slowly make this world a better place...this world needs more love and could change because of you. It’s okay to not be okay.”

Choosing to preface “Broken” with those words of encouragement gave an inspiring feel to the song’s performance. After seeing them in concert, a whole new meaning of the band was revealed. Lovelytheband’s music is a representation of everyone’s struggles, but they state through their songs that it is okay to struggle and to ask for help. They have created an open and positive environment that people can feel through their music.

The band closed with the song “these are my friends.” It was a blissful note to end on as I stood surrounded by genuinely happy people, singing along to every word.

anickell@theeagleonline.com