Kogod 9.26 flier

President Burwell to lead town hall Wednesday after Confederate flags hung at American University

Meeting will be in Kay Spiritual Life Center

American University will hold a town hall at 1 p.m. Wednesday in Kay Spiritual Life Center, University President Sylvia Burwell announced in an email to the AU community Wednesday morning.

The meeting will address the Confederate flag fliers found hanging in four University buildings late Tuesday night. The fliers were pinned to bulletin boards with cotton stalks attached to them.

“I ask you to join me in standing together and show that we will not be intimidated,” Burwell said in the email.

The school’s last campus-wide town hall was held in the same location on May 2, 2017, the day after multiple bananas were found hanging from string tied in the shape of nooses on AU’s campus. Some of the bananas were marked with the message “AKA,” the letters of the predominantly African-American sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.

Anyone with information on the fliers found Tuesday night is encouraged to call Public Safety at 202-885-2527 or submit a tip online