Weekend Scene: March 18-20

Spring weather has finally arrived, but The Scene staff knows there is so much more to sunny weather than quadding season. Pack a bag with your metrocard, sunscreen and water bottle and head out into the city because this weekend is the best time to soak up the sun. D.C. has countless of cool events this spring, so if you’re looking to kick off the cherry blossom season, check out these suggestions.

Cherry Blossoms

Head downtown to be the very first to experience the blooming cherry blossoms before the tourists swarm. The official cherry blossom season begins Sun. March 20, but there are already hundreds of trees blooming in The District. A fun idea is to head downtown for sunrise at the monuments for some great photos with the flowers, and then snag an open table at a downtown restaurant for a delicious, patio brunch. If early morning isn’t your thing, take a free cherry blossom tour available regularly during the blooming season.

When: Officially beginning March 20

Where: National Mall

Metro: Metro Center, Red Line

Japanese Film Festival

If you find yourself more interested in the Japanese culture of cherry blossom season, check out one of the many traditional Japanese film screenings. The films will have English subtitles and will vary in time and locations. Many of the films have been nominated for Japanese academy awards, and highlight historical and cultural aspects of Japan. Tickets are $13.

When: Beginning March 20

Where: Varies

Metro: Varies

March Madness

The best way to enjoy any sporting event is at a local D.C. bar with your crew. Check out the variety of restaurants and bars around D.C. that offer viewing events for March Madness games, as well as special drink and food deals to enjoy while you check your winning bracket. Highlights of participating restaurants and bars include City Tap House, Jack Rose Dining Saloon and Town Tavern.

When: Throughout March Madness

Where: Varies

Metro: Varies

aweg@theeagleonline.com