Weekend Scene: Feb. 26-28

Venture out into the city this weekend for movies, an art festival and historical tours

If the rainy week brought your mood down, head out into the cultural city of D.C. to enjoy live performances, films and tons of other incredible artistic events. If art isn’t your thing, be sure to end February with a of Black History Month celebration.

Washington Jewish Film Festival

Join movie lovers and Jewish Washingtonians for one of the largest Jewish film festivals in North America. The twelve-day event attracts more than 15,000 people and showcases more than 80 cinema screenings that celebrate Jewish history, culture and heritage. Many of the films are followed by speakers and discussion. Door tickets are $15, but the website recommends you buy in advance.

When: Feb. 24 to March 6

Where: Varies

Metro: Varies

Atlas Intersections Festival

In honor of Atlas Performing Arts Center’s 10th Anniversary, come see D.C. arts and artists at their very best. Events include musical performances, videos, sculptures, photography and so much more. There’s a show for everyone’s interests.

When: Feb. 26 to March 6

Where: 1333 H St. NE

Metro: Union Station, Red Line

Josiah Henson Historic Site Black History Month Event

Montgomery Parks will offer guided tours of Josiah Henson’s historic site to celebrate the last weekend of Black History Month. The tour will give a full background of Reverend Josiah Henson’s life, the man who inspired Uncle Tom’s Cabin, from enslavement on Isaac Riley’s plantation, to his escape to Canada via the Underground Railroad. The weekend will also include a screening of the documentary “The Search for Josiah Henson” as well a spoken word poetry event.

When: Feb 27 to 28

Where: 11420 Old Georgetown Rd., North Bethesda.

Metro: White Flint Metro, Red Line

aweg@theeagleonline.com