The Weekend Scene: December 4-6

The Scene recommends these activities for your pre-finals weekend.

Clarification appended. 

With the cold and rainy weather dampening the District and final exams approaching, the mood on campus may seem bleak or overwhelming. However, try not to get too comfy in the library finishing the last-minute papers. Take a study break with these great winter activities in D.C. The holiday season is in full swing, and The District has some amazing events, markets and festivals you won’t want to miss before you head home for winter break.

Downtown DC Holiday Market 2015

For the 11th year in a row, The District’s best outdoor shopping, the Downtown D.C. Holiday Market is the place to go for all your holiday shopping. The market runs daily through Dec. 23, offering an array of products from more than 150 regional artists, crafters and vendors. The market also sells some of the city’s best pottery, jewelry and textiles from over 60 exhibitors. Be sure to check the seasonal entertainment, food and evening holiday lights during a visit to the Holiday Market this weekend.

When: Nov. 27 to Dec. 23 12 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Where: 8th and F streets NW
Metro: Gallery Place-Chinatown, Red Line

Alexandria Holiday Market 2015

The gorgeous city of Alexandria opens a holiday market on Dec. 4 with some of the most talented crafters and vendors in the area, inspired by European traditions and culture. The market includes children’s activities, a wine bar, food and live performances. Alexandria’s market runs every weekend leading up to Christmas, and different vendors join the mix each week. On Dec. 5, check out the 16th Annual Alexandria Holiday Boat Parade of Lights. This event showcases dozens of boats decorated with holiday lights cruising the Potomac river.

When: Dec. 4 to 6
Where: 300 John Carlyle St. Alexandria, VA
Metro: King Street- Old Town, Blue and Yellow lines

Pentagon Row Frost Fest

On any average weekend, families can stroll around Pentagon Row and enjoy shopping and eating in a historical D.C. location. This weekend, Pentagon Row will transform into a winter wonderland. Participants can enjoy ice skating, ice fireworks display, ice sculptures, fire performers and a very special $1000 giveaway.

When: Dec. 5, 5 to 8 p.m.
Where: 1201 South Joyce St. Arlington, VA
Metro: Pentagon City, Yellow and Blue lines

Smithsonian Holiday Festival

The National Mall offers free events for every occasion, and the holiday season has even more spectacular activities. The National Museum of American History hosts a holiday festival scheduled with film screenings, special exhibits, chocolate demonstrations and tastings, book signing, special menu options at the museum cafe and great holiday shopping. The special Frank Sinatra exhibit is a must-see display for people of all ages.

When: Dec. 5 and 6
Where: National Museum of American History at 14th St. and Constitution Avenue
Metro: Smithsonian, Blue and Yellow lines

Parcel Market

Canal Park will host an incredible holiday market this Saturday and Sunday with a 10,000 square-foot ice rink, a fire pit surrounded by a food pavilion and art installations and musical performances. The festival tent will include vendors selling designer products, art, food and more. The event is completely free, with activities for everyone to enjoy this holiday season.

When: Dec. 5 and 6
Where: 200 M St. SE
Metro: Navy Yard- Ballpark, Green Line

scene@theeagleonline.com

Clarification: A previous version of this article only listed the first day of the Smithsonian Holiday Festival. The event will be held on Dec. 5 and 6. A previous version of this article also mentioned that The National Museum of American History will be hosting the festival. The holiday festival includes 10 museums. The list of museums include: The National Museum of American History, National Air and Space Museum, National Museum of Natural History, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian American Art Museum, National Museum of the American Indian, Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, National Museum of African Art, National Postal Museum and the Smithsonian Castle.