The Weekend Scene: Oct. 16-18

The Scene selects the best places to take your parents during All-American Weekend.

When All-American Weekend rolls around, and your parents come to town, you may want to make the most of the time you have with them. After your parents take you out for a brunch of a lifetime, show them the true D.C. with fun events throughout the weekend.

Alexandria Fall Festival

Join the town of Alexandria for an afternoon of fall favorites such as scarecrow making, pumpkin painting and face painting. There will also be fun stage events, including puppet shows and traditional American music. While you’re at the festival, you can also check out the arts and crafts booths, exhibitors and food vendors. Tickets are $5 or $15 for a family of four.

When: Oct. 17  10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Where: 520 Cameron Station Blvd., Alexandria

Metro: Eisenhower Avenue, Yellow Line

Bethesda Row Arts Festival

The Bethesda Row Arts Festival will transform four blocks of downtown Bethesda into an outdoor art gallery. The festival is one of the best arts and crafts festivals in the Mid-Atlantic and will feature art for sale from 190 juried, museum quality artists. Bethesda Row will feature artists who specialize in ceramics, drawings, paintings, pastels, photography and more. The art festival raises money and awareness for the National Institutes of Health Children’s Charities.

When: Oct. 17 and 18

Where: 4841 Bethesda Ave., Bethesda

Metro: Bethesda Station, Red Line

White House 2015 Fall Garden Tour

Every so often the White House opens its gardens and grounds to visitors for a free day of events and tours, and this weekend visitors will have a chance to see the famous landmark. A ticket is required and allows visitors to see multiple locations including the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden, Rose Garden and South Lawn of the White House. Visitors can also visit the White House Kitchen Garden to see what vegetables are grown. The National Park Service will distribute free, timed tickets for the event at 9:00 a.m on both Saturday and Sunday.  

When: Oct. 17 and 18

Where: Ellipse Visitor Pavilion, 15th and E street NW

Metro: Metro Center, Red Line

World of Montgomery Festival

Celebrate the rich cultural heritage of the D.C. area at World of Montgomery Festival. The event will explore the variety of international music, food, dance, exhibits and arts in the culture of Washingtonians. Featured countries will include China, El Salvador, Ethiopia and India. A special Parade of Cultures begins at 1:30 p.m.

When: Oct. 18

Where: Montgomery College, 51 Mannakee St., Rockville

Metro: Rockville Station, Red Line

aweg@theeagleonline.com