The Gym Rat Diaries: Work out without leaving campus

Every other week, this column will review a D.C. gym and one or more trial classes.

AU offers two modern fitness centers open to its students, faculty, staff, alumni and the D.C. community. The gym memberships are free with student tuition and prices for non-student memberships can be found on their website. A membership includes open use of both Jacobs and Cassell Fitness Centers, Reeves Aquatic Center pools, Bender Arena Basketball Courts, outdoor track and tennis courts. You can view the schedule of the fitness center here.

In addition to the base membership, there is also an option to add on group exercise classes. These classes are offered for free for the first week every semester. Afterwards, the classes cost $7 per individual class or $65 for an unlimited semester pass. Classes include yoga, zumba, karate, pilates and more. You can check out the schedule of classes here.

Both fitness centers offer additional personal training sessions that vary in price. You can find more information on trainers, options and prices here.

How are the gyms?

The Jacobs Fitness Center, located in the Butler Pavilion next to the Butler Arena, has a lower level with state-of-the-art strength training equipment. The fitness center offers free weights, machine weights and various exercise equipment. Also, there is always staff walking around who are happy to answer any questions you may have about use of equipment. In addition, the gym has one group exercise room, often used for spin classes, a separate weight room for varsity athletes and a wrestling room.

On the second level, the fitness center offers a variety of cardio equipment including treadmills, ellipticals, stair masters, stationary bikes and rowing machines. These machines are usually not too crowded during off-peak hours. Usually you can sign up on the whiteboard for a machine for 30 minute increments.

The Cassell Fitness center has one main area with both cardio equipment and strength training equipment. Though many of the machines are more modern versions than those you will find at Jacobs, similar equipment is available at both fitness centers. In addition, Cassell is home to a very large group exercise room where the majority of the zumba and yoga classes are held throughout the week.

Try these classes:

Zumba is always a great go-to for a workout. Zumba is offered at Cassell Fitness Center weekly and offers an hour of intense dancing with popular Latin songs including Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias. The music was exciting, the dancing was fairly simple to follow and the workout was intense. This class is highly recommended to Zumba pros and newbies alike.

The class is catered to all experience levels, so nobody should feel insecure about checking it out.

The yoga classes offered at Cassell Fitness Center are wonderful if you need a relaxing hour. The mat is provided for you, and the instructor is clear and easy to follow. The class is great for beginners, and though it is advertised to yoga enthusiasts of all experiences, it may seem a little boring to those who are already pros. It can’t hurt to give the class a try, especially if you have always been curious about trying yoga.

Hard Core Abs is a half hour class offered once a week at Cassell Fitness Center. The class offers an intense 30 minute workout of nine different moves, a one minute break and then repeat. It leaves participants feeling strong and maybe a little sore the next morning. The class is catered to all experience levels, so nobody should feel insecure about checking it out.

Tips to know before you go:

Both Cassell and Jacobs offers free use of mini lockers. If you bring a sweatshirt, sweatpants, your phone or ID and need somewhere to put it, make sure you lock it up! There are strict rules about carrying things with you around the gym, and you wouldn’t want to be interrupted during your workout to go lock up your jacket.

Be sure to always check the hours before leaving for your workout, especially on a day the University is not running regular hours. In addition, peak hours are between lunch and dinner time, around 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., so avoid the gym during that time if you can. Ideal times for cardio machines is earlier in the morning and later at night.

Be sure to bring headphones for the cardio machines. They are all equipped with mini televisions and a full cable listing. Your favorite TV show may just be the motivation you need to hit the gym more often.

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.