The Gym Rat Diaries: Experiencing SoulCycle

Every other week, this column will review a D.C. gym and one or more trial classes.

SoulCycle is an up-and-coming workout trend that is sweeping the nation. With most of its locations in New York, SoulCycle recently opened a single branch in downtown DC. Located at 2301 M Street, the gym is about a 10 minute walk from the Dupont Metro stop.

One SoulCycle class costs $34, but becomes cheaper if you buy class packages. In addition, for November only there is a special promotion offering a free first class for males. The gym is easy to locate, with a few test bikes sitting right outside their front door and a neon sign reading “SoulCycle” for the entire street to see.

How is the gym?

SoulCycle is more than just a workout - it’s a change in the way you treat yourself and your health. The SoulCycle gym has three small areas, and though the gym itself is simple, it has all it needs to run its classes. Upon entering the gym, you will walk into the gift shop, where they sell anything you ever wanted with “SoulCycle” written on it. In the center of the room is the reception desk, where the receptionist will help you get situated before your class. Past the desk is a large, brightly colored co-ed locker room that is equipped with built in locks for everyone's use. There is a small bathroom with a shower, but the majority of participants only used the locker area to store their belongings.

Past this area is the SoulCycle room, with fifty-eight bikes closely packed together. Each bike was equipped with two small hand weights, a clean towel and a water bottle holder. At the front of the room is a stage for the teacher’s bike and a large mirror to watch the intense workout.

Try this class.

There are a few types of SoulCycle classes, but the most popular would be the classic SoulCycle class. The class incorporates high intensity cardio via cycling with an abdominal and upper body workout. The music in SoulCycle is upbeat, and the instructor did a great job with keeping the class motivated and working hard.

The instructor also used the lights in the room to set specific tones during the workout. At points, she turned down all the lights and set out candles in the front of the room so that participants would focus on their personal workout and not compare themselves to other people. At other points when she wanted cyclers to push themselves after a slower portion, she would turn the lights all the way up to boost energy and get everyone pumped.

Though it was not a classic cycling class, it provided a great workout for various parts of the body. At one point, the class took out the small hand weights and did a mini upper body workout, in addition to throughout the class using body weight on the bike as a workout. The class had an equal mix of males and females and a variety of experience levels represented.

Tips to know before you go.

You will need to use their special cycling shoes. These shoes click into the bike for safety and security while cycling. For your first ride they are free, but for every returning time they are $3 to rent. You can rent them at the front desk and pick up a smart water bottle there for $3 as well.

Go online to check out the class schedule and reserve your bike. Though you can walk in, it is not guaranteed you will fit into the next class. Make sure you find a class time and teacher that work for you. It was recommended for a first time visit to sit as close to the front and center as you can, that way it’s easier to follow the instructor.

Let them know you are new to SoulCycle. When you first go you have to sign a waiver and are eligible for a free shoe rental. Also, let your instructor know right away so they can set your bike up correctly and keep an eye on you during the workout and assist if necessary.

Make sure you wear long pants to avoid painful chafing and bring tons of water. You will need it.