AU Student assaulted in residence hall

An AU student was sexually assaulted in a residence hall on May 4 by an individual the survivor knew, according to a Crime Alert released by AU Public Safety on May 5.

The crime took place inside Letts Hall, according to the AU Daily Crime Log.

The survivor was sexually assaulted while in another AU student’s dorm room, according to the Crime Alert. Public Safety classified the crime as a sex offense in the Crime Alert.

The crime was reported to the Metropolitan Police Department and Public Safety, according to the Crime Alert. The investigation was ongoing at the time the Crime Alert was published.

The University could not provide any more information about the case in the interest of maintaining student privacy, Philip Morse, senior director of public safety and emergency management, said in an email on May 15.

AU Public Safety released two Crime Alerts during the Spring of 2014, and both were for sex offenses. The other sex offense occurred on Feb. 23 while the survivor was asleep in a residence hall, The Eagle previously reported.

There were twelve Crime Alerts released during the fall of 2013, including three sex offenses, three malicious burnings, two burglaries, one attempted burglary, one robbery, one defacement of property and one unlawful entry.

shogan@theeagleonline.com