Sexual assault occurs in residence hall

Update Feb. 27 at 1:14 p.m.
AU Public Safety released new information about the sex crime that occurred in a main campus residence hall at 4 a.m. on Feb. 23.

The crime was originally classified as a sex offense in a Feb. 24 Crime Alert. The crime was updated to a forcible sex offense in the AU Daily Crime Log on Feb. 25.

“The investigation into this incident is ongoing,” Philip Morse, senior director of Public Safety and Emergency Management at AU, said in a Feb. 25 email.

Public Safety would not release any information on:
-which residence hall that the crime took place inside
-how the suspect was able to enter the residence hall and room
-the genders of either the survivor or suspect
-if the survivor was an AU student
-if any legal action was being taken by the survivor

“Due to the nature of the crime and our desire to protect the identity of the victim/survivor, the Department of Public Safety does not want to release any further information at this time,” Morse said in a Feb. 25 email. “We encourage the AU Community to report any information regarding this incident to the Department of Public Safety.”

A sex offense-coercion was also reported to AU Public Safety on Feb. 24, according to the AU Daily Crime Log.

The crime took place inside Anderson Hall during the Fall 2013 semester and no criminal complaint has been filed, according to the AU Daily Crime Log.

During the 2013-2014 academic year, there have now been 11 reported sex-related crimes listed in the AU Daily Crime Log, including:
-six sex offenses, with five in the fall and one in the spring
-two sex offenses with no known threat to the AU community, both occurring in the fall
-two forcible sex offense, with one in the fall and one in the spring
-one forcible fondling, which happened in the fall

Original story
A sleeping individual was sexually assaulted by a non-AU person inside a residence hall on Feb. 23, according to a Crime Alert by AU Public Safety on Feb. 24.

The crime occurred at approximately 4 a.m. and was classified as a sexual offense by AU Public Safety. The residence hall where the crime took place was not named in the Crime Alert.

The survivor knows the identity of the suspect, according to the Crime Alert. Public Safety is investigating the incident.

During the 2013-2014 academic year, there have been a total of 10 reported sex-related crimes, including:
● six sex offenses, with four in the fall and two in the spring
● two sex offenses with no known threat to the AU community, both occurring in the fall
● one forcible sex offense that took place in the spring
● one forcible fondling, which happened in the fall

shogan@theeagleonline.com