Eagle sports staff predicts the 2014 MLB season

I predict that the New York Mets will surprise everyone and finish above .500. Their rotation is very solid with Zack Wheeler, Dillon Gee and Bartolo Colon fronting a rotation that also has a lot of potential stored in the minors. Reports say that ace Matt Harvey looks to return to action in August or September, providing a potential shot in the arm for them. Also, even though the lineup is usually criticized, if players such as Ike Davis and Chris Young can flash some of the potential they have shown in the past and if Curtis Granderson can return to form, the Mets will have a solid, if not great lineup. If Atlanta’s injury troubles continue, I can even see the Mets making a run at second place and a wild-card spot. -Adrian Cruz

The Tampa Bay Rays’ outfielder Wil Myers will be named an All-Star game starter. The 2013 Rookie of the Year was one of the highest regarded prospects entering the 2013 season. Although Myers’ stat line of a .293 average, 13 home runs and 53 runs batted in won’t wow anyone, consider that post All-Star break 2013 Myers hit 10 home runs and drove in 38 runs, a sign that the rookie is getting better with experience. A full season should only add to the already good numbers.-Eric Saltzman

Cardinals pitcher Michael Wacha will be a Cy Young candidate this season. The 22-year-old phenom hit the national spotlight last season after being one out away from pitching a no-hitter against the Nationals. Wacha continued his dominance in the playoffs going 4-1 with a 2.64 era including 7 ⅓ innings with just one hit in an elimination game at Pittsburgh. Wacha may have to compete against fellow starter Adam Wainwright, but I say Wacha delivers and becomes St. Louis’ best pitcher by the end of the season. With Wacha dealing and the emergence of prospects Kolten Wong and Oscar Taveras, St. Louis will win the World Series for the 12th time. – Austin Sternlicht.

The Giants won the World Series in 2010 and 2012. Obviously that means that they are due for another World Series in 2014. Bank on it. -David Lim