Ray Bowman wins SG vice presidency

Ray Bowman won the Student Government vice presidential special election Jan. 23, filling in the vacant spot after Julia Reinstein resigned.

Bowman, a senior in the School of Communication and the School of Public Affairs, received 58 percent of the total 608 votes, according to Board of Elections Chairman Logan Billman. SOC sophomore Steven Haderer came in second with 38 percent of the vote.

“I am so overwhelmed right now, my nerves have been so high all day, and I am just so relieved and excited,” Bowman said.

Bowman and his campaign staff cheered and hugged upon hearing the results, with Bowman crying in excitement. Bowman said he is thankful for his campaign staff and to all the students who came out to support him.

“I mean there are so many people that came out and supported me that I never even knew before this week,” he said. “I had the chance to meet hundreds of new students on campus. I was going door to door every day speaking to students.”

With the election now over, Bowman said his first act as vice president will be to establish the Grant to Empower Multiculturalism, one of the main issues on his platform, The Eagle previously reported.

“I think I have a really clear vision of what [students] want, and I’m going to try my best to deliver,” Bowman said.

Haderer said that while he was disappointed with the results, he was proud of the work he and his campaign staff accomplished.

“I’m so incredibly proud of my team, we ran a hard, clean, committed race,” Haderer said. “We gave students a voice for at least a week, and I’m going to make sure students voices are heard one way or another.”

Video courtesy of ATV