Take Action: Six charities helping the Philippines you can trust

Typhoon Haiyan decimated the Philippines, and relief efforts are underway. AU students may be continents away, but there are still several national and international relief and charity organizations that need help.

1. American Red Cross
WHO: A 501©(3) non-profit organization that “shelters, feeds, and provides emotional support to victims of disasters,” according to their website.
WHAT THEY’RE DOING: Four members are supporting the Philippines Red Cross with miscellaneous disaster relief and assistance, as well as to reconnect families displaced by the typhoon.
HOW TO DONATE: 1-800-REDCROSS or redcross.org ($10 is the minimum online donation). All donations are tax deductible.
THE CATCH: Red Cross received criticism after it was discovered that, one year later, they only spent $280 million out of $308 million donated. However, CharityNavigator gave the non-profit three out of four stars for financial contributions and four out of four stars for accountability and transparency. At least 90.7% of the donations raised go toward program expenses while only a combined 9.1% are saved for administrative and fundraising expenses.

2. Action Against Hunger ACF-USA
WHO: Part of the ACF International that aims to alleviate, find the solutions for and end world hunger, according to their website.
WHAT THEY’RE DOING: Their team is in the Philippines to meet water and sanitation needs, using water purification kits, latrine construction kits, power generators and emergency relief kits which include many personal care items such as soap and blankets.
HOW TO DONATE: Donate online or call 1-877-777-1420, extension 117.
THE CATCH: There is no criticism of AAH, and CharityNavigator gave the organization two four out of four star ratings for financial contributions and accountability and transparency. They use 87.5% on program expenses, and 12.4% covers administrative and fundraising expenses.

3. Convoy of Hope
WHO: A 501©3 faith-based organization that focuses on international feeding programs for children and disaster response, according to their website.
WHAT THEY’RE DOING: Already distributed 75,000 meals, the organization has 3 million meals headed to the Philippines, as well as relief items such as water filters and tents.
HOW TO DONATE: Donate online.
THE CATCH: There also is no criticism of Convoy of Hope. Their CharityNavigator rating is a high 65.75 out of 70, with four stars in both financial and accountability and transparency. They reported 89.9% of Convoy of Hope’s donations go to program expenses, with 9.9% of funds raised going to fundraising and administrative expenses.

4. Direct Relief International
WHO: They supply medical professionals in low-resource communities to help with better diagnosis and treatments. They also prepare for quick response in these areas in case of a disaster, according to their website.
WHAT THEY’RE DOING: The organization is providing medical supplies, including antibiotics, painkillers and nausea medications, to support local partners and the Philippines Secretary of Health, according to their website.
HOW TO DONATE: Donate online and select “Typhoon Haiyan Relief” or call 805-964-4767.
THE CATCH: Considered one of the best non-profits, with absolutely no criticism in the media, they spend 98.8% of their donations on their programs, with only a combined 1.2% of funds going towards administrative and fundraising costs. They have the highest CharityNavigator rating of 69.90 out of 70.

5. International Rescue Committee
WHO: A 501©3 aims to respond to international disasters and crises, according to their website.
WHAT THEY’RE DOING: The emergency prevention and response unit works on water, health and sanitation issues, according to their website.
HOW TO DONATE: Donate online or call 1-855-9RESCUE.
THE CATCH: With a 65.40 out of 70 rating on CharityNavigator, this organization donates 92.3% of funds collected to their programs, with 7.6% going towards other costs.

6. Medical Teams International
WHO: A humanitarian and global health non-profit that send medical teams to disaster areas to care for the victims.
WHAT THEY’RE DOING: MTI sent medical teams to the Philippines to care for the victims of the typhoon.
HOW TO DONATE: Online, or call 800-959-4325.
THE CATCH: None. CharityNavigator gave this organization, which spends 97.6% of funds on programs, four-stars for seven consecutive years.

acohen@theeagleonline.com