Monday, June 24, 2024

SG seeks to codify students’ on-campus rights

Student Government published its students’ rights report, analyzing the student rights policy at
AU and peer institutions, online on Nov. 5. The report addresses the absence of a university
document guaranteeing the rights and responsibilities of students.

According to Samantha Turetsky, a senior in the School of Public Affairs and Student
Government’s director of Student Rights, a project team compiled data over the summer before
drafting the report. Student voice was the overarching concern for many AU students.

“Student voice is what student rights means,” Turetsky said.

Almost 50 percent of AU students do not believe their opinions are considered when the
University makes decisions, according to the report.

“Change, in terms of protecting student rights, is exactly what we need at American University,”
Turetsky said.

The report also analyzed freedom of expression, due process, and accessibility at AU and peer
institutions. The report recommended a formal university statement detailing the rights afforded
to students.

As of Nov. 13, 171 people have signed a petition to codify student rights at AU. Going forward
the Student Rights Project plans to continue on-the-ground advocacy and campaigning.

Discussions regarding the absence of a statement on student rights are currently underway with
university administrators.

sntahobari@theeagleonline

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.