SG Judicial Board allows swearing-in to continue

Five newly elected Student Government senators will be sworn in Nov. 3 after the Judicial Board lifted the injunction limiting the inauguration on Oct. 28.

The Judicial Board lifted the injunction after a hearing on Oct. 28, denying freshman candidate Michael Caballero’s petition to hold new elections.

His petition, which prevented the swearing in of new Student Government senators, claimed that the elections were invalid due to voter disenfranchisement.

“A fair voting system was not facilitated during the fall undergraduate elections,” Caballero said.

Logan Billman, Chair of the Board of Elections, said some votes did not count due to ballot errors and advised SG to decertify elections.

The Judicial Board denied Caballero’s petition because they do not have the “constitutional authority” to decertify elections once Student Government has certified them, according to a statement released by the Judicial Board to Caballero.

They will not hear his case because they do not have the jurisdiction to resolve it.

SG President Pat Kelly will also make his State of SG inaugural address on Nov. 3 since it was postponed Oct. 27, The Eagle previously reported.

sntahobari@theeagleonline.com