Former presidential speechwriter offers storytelling advice

Former presidential speechwriter Jon Favreau spoke about the art and power of storytelling to a packed room in the Mary Graydon Center’s University Club on Nov. 6.

Favreau, now 32, was only 24 when Obama hired him as the presidential speechwriter, the second youngest one in history.

Favreau served as speechwriter for President Barack Obama from 2008 until he recently resigned to focus on his company Fenway Strategies. Fenway Strategies aids CEOs and large organizations with media strategy, media training, digital strategy and speech writing, according to its website.

Fenway has worked with names such as Bill Clinton and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

During the talk, Favreau gave students advice on crafting speeches, saying the story is the most important part of the speech.

“The most powerful tool is storytelling,” he said. “What I learned [from President Obama is] that a memorable well told story is much better than a catchy tagline or a cheap applause.”

The idea of storytelling over catchphrases to appeal to the polls is what first drew Favreau to the President when he first heard him speak at the 2004 Democratic Convention.

“[His style] was honest and authentic,” he said.

Favreau also found himself drawn to Obama’s intellectual nature.

“He is a really wonky guy,” Favreau said. “He loves to have intellectual debates [in the office] as well as keep[ing] up on the office gossip,” he joked.

Favreau does not let his age factor into his job and encouraged other young people to do the same.

“Don’t just sit there and be quiet and intimidated by the older people around you,” he said. “You are there because someone saw something in you…you have something valuable to contribute.”

sgaber@theeagleonline.com