Five ways to give back this Thanksgiving

It’s that time of year again, a time to give thanks for those special moments in their lives. But being thankful this Thanksgiving doesn’t mean showing appreciation by eating that second slice of pie—being thankful can also mean being generous.
Listed below are five organizations to volunteer with or donate to this Thanksgiving that will make a positive impact for those who need your help.

1. International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that brings rescue to victims of modern slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to secure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to ensure that public justice systems effectively protect the poor. They also take donations and offer internships for passionate individuals and missionaries. Their vision is “To rescue thousands, protect millions and prove that justice for the poor is possible.”

2. Feeding America is the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Their mission is “to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.” Currently, Feeding America is having a Thanksgiving special in which your donation will count for twice the amount. Donations this holiday season will go far for everyone in need of a warm Thanksgiving meal. Also, through their website you can volunteer to help the organization or advocate for policy change that will help Americans who are struggling with hunger.

3. Mercy Corps responds immediately to emergencies and stick around to build food security, resilience and new economic opportunities as communities rebuild. They believe secure, productive and just societies emerge when the private, public and civil society sectors are able to interact with accountability, inclusive participation and mechanisms for peaceful change. Right now they are collecting donations to aid their emergency responders to the Super Typhoon Haiyan. Donations will provide relief to survivors of catastrophe. Mercy Corps also has volunteer opportunities, jobs and events that feature discussions with visiting experts around the world.

4. Keep America Beautiful offers solutions to create clean, beautiful public places, reduce waste and increase recycling, generate positive impact on local economies and inspire generations of environmental stewards. They are a network of more than 1,200 affiliate and participating organizations including state recycling organizations, who work with millions of volunteers to take action in their communities. They believe that people and places are profoundly connected. They have locations in D.C. where you can get involved or participate in certain programs, such as Game Day Challenge or Great American Cleanup that targets litter control and recreation cleanup.

5. Urban Light is a grassroots organization made up of a community of individuals dedicated to making noise regarding boys who are victims of trafficking and exploitation. Based in Thailand, the Urban Light Youth Center rebuilds, restores and empowers the lives of boys who work in the red light district by providing education, health services, housing and emergency care. They are the only organization targeting boys, otherwise known as the Invisible Population. It is important to realize boys are a part of sex trafficking too, considering there are millions of boys being overlooked on a global scale. Urban Light provides internships in the D.C. area and you can donate online. Just $50 can house a boy for an entire month in Thailand, keeping him off the streets and away from the thousands of sex tourists who crowd into Thailand every year.