“TDR Kevin”: Student action got me my job back

Bon Appétit workers advocate for better working conditions

Kevin Nelson, commonly known as “TDR Kevin,” said student action led to his being rehired and encouraged students to change working conditions at AU.

“The force is with the students right now,” Nelson said Nov. 15 at an event sponsored by the Student Worker Alliance that also featured two other Bon Appétit employees. “We want students and employees to have support, and when we come together we create that support.”

Nelson said his manager fired him for stealing food from TDR, even though Nelson said he was allowed to take the food, which he ate at home after he missed his lunch break.

Bon Appétit did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Nelson saw the petition on Facebook calling for his reinstatement before being rehired, he said.

“People do pay attention to how much you care for them,” Nelson said. “They know when you take pride in your work.”

Bon Appétit workers encouraged AU students who helped rehire Nelson to continue to stand up for worker rights on campus.

“I’m overworked,” Bruce Magbie, who sorts food received from vendors for Bon Appétit, said. “They [the managers] want you to do so much, even things not in my job description. I take real pride in my work but I am one man, one person.”

Two major problems with Bon Appétit are seniority and favoritism, Magbie said. The best shifts are given to those who have worked the longest at Bon Appétit, even if they are not the hardest workers, he said.

TDR is also understaffed, according to Bradlee Pratt, a four-year employee who washes dishes and silverware.

“Lots of craziness goes on in there [the dishroom],” Pratt said. “There were two guys holding down [washing dishes] for three, four thousand people during a 16 hour shift during Hurricane Sandy.”

The workers said they want better working conditions since their main goal is to please the students.

“It costs 10 to 12 dollars to go into TDR,” Nelson said. “Like going into a restaurant, you want to get what you paid for, especially from service.”

acohen@theeagleonline.com