This branch came off of a tree on the AU Quad during the storm June 29. Repairs across D.C., Maryland and Virginia could take days.

Storm repairs in D.C., surrounding states could take days

Washington College of Law loses power

Update: July 5 at 11:38 p.m.

The Washington College of Law lost power on July 2 because of June 29's storm. The school regained power later that afternoon, according to AU Communications Assistant Vice President Camille Lepre.

Tenley Campus did not lose power, even though surrounding buildings and traffic signals suffered outages. Main campus also did not experience any power outages.

Update: July 2 at 8:29 a.m.

Maryland Governor O'Malley issued a state of emergency later in the day on June 30.

Original story

Residents of D.C. found downed trees and power lines on June 30 following the previous night's storm.

“Friday night's violent wind storm with winds in excess of 70 miles per hour has left more than 420,000 Pepco customers without power,” according to power supply company Pepco, who supplies power to large parts of D.C. and Maryland.

Government officials and energy company representatives told media representatives it will take several days or weeks to restore power to some homes and repair damages.

On and around campus No injuries in the AU community or damages to AU property were reported to Public Safety, according to Officer Johnson.

One tree on the Quad lost a large branch and a tree fell across the roadway between McDowell Hall and the President's Office.

Several traffic lights were out in Tenleytown, and trees and downed power lines blocked traffic on Cathedral Avenue and large tree branches fell on the sides of Massachusetts and Nebraska Avenues.

D.C. declared a state of emergency on June 30 "to enable District government to respond to emerging issues as expeditiously as possible," City Administrator Allen Lew said in a press release.

According to D.C. government, 104 trees were down in AU's Ward.

“While last night’s storms have wreaked havoc across the metro region, the District Government has responded quickly and our emergency services team is fully activated,” Mayor Vincent Gray said in a press release. Gray is currently in China on an economic development trip.

A number of Metro bus routes have also been detoured or delayed by downed trees and power lines, according to WMATA.

Maryland Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley said in a conference call with the media that he will issue a state of emergency for parts of Maryland on June 30.

There have been two deaths and two injuries in Maryland, including one death in Montgomery County, according to Maryland officials on the call.

O’Malley said the storm was “like a windshield wiper swept across the whole region,” and one Maryland official said the damage across Maryland was similar to the damage during Hurricane Irene.

As of 4:30 p.m. on June 30, there were over 236,000 power outages in Montgomery County and 184,000 power outages in Prince George’s County, according to Maryland’s Emergency Management Agency.

Montgomery and Prince George's Counties, the Maryland counties that surround D.C., were "the areas that are most impacted in the state as we understand it," said Maryland Deputy Health Secretary Fran Phillips.

President Barack Obama called O’Malley from Camp David to check on Maryland’s status in repairing damage and to make sure FEMA and other federal officials were being helpful.

Virginia Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnel issued a state of emergency, according to the Washington Post. 6 people in Virginia died as a result of the storm, according to McDonnel.

“This is the largest non-hurricane power outage in Virginia history,” McDonnel tweeted.

Tips for survival

•If your air-conditioning is out, avoid heat exhaustion by going to a cooling center in either D.C. or Maryland.

•If you can’t get someplace cool, drink water. Avoid alcohol, since it will dehydrate you.

• Avoid downed power lines. Assume they are live and can electrocute you.

•Stay inside tonight. Officials are worried about another storm coming in that could make the situation even worse.

•If you’ve lost power and Pepco supplies your electricity, call 1-877-737-2662 to report an outage.

Staff writer Paige Jones contributed to this report.

zcohen@theeagleonline.com