Chef Geoff hires sign holder to warn drivers of speed cameras on Foxhall Road

Geoff Tracy of Chef Geoff’s restaurant took a stand against the speed cameras on Foxhall Road this past week, hiring a sign spinner to warn motorists to slow down.

Tracy hired a sign spinner from a company called Air Signs to work for 40 hours over a seven-day period beginning Jan. 28.

“It cost $30 per hour, so it was $1,200,” said Tracy, who owns Chef Geoff’s on New Mexico Avenue along with four other restaurants. “But I think we should let people know about the speed trap before they get a fine.”

The speeding cameras installed on Foxhall Road went live Dec. 21.

“Foxhall Road is a route a travel a lot because it is how I get to work,” Tracy said.

Tracy received his total fine of $425 for three speeding tickets in the mail Dec. 29.

His first speeding violation of $125 for driving 36 mph occurred Dec. 23. Tracy received a second and third ticket for driving 43 mph and 42 mph Dec. 26 and 29.

He was fined $150 for both latter tickets.

“I take full responsibility for driving over the speed limit,” Tracy said. “But two of my busboys received tickets as well. They work all day to make the $125 they lose to a speeding ticket.”

Tracy said the Metropolitan Police Department approves of the steps he has taken to warn other motorists.

However, Tracy said he is skeptical of the motives behind installing the cameras.

“Personally, I think 25 mph is too slow for that part of the street where the cameras are installed because it’s not a neighborhood area,” Tracy said. “It is also a lot of money to charge for driving 11 miles over the limit. It seems like a way for the government to generate revenue more than a way to promote public safety.”

Some AU students who commute agreed with Tracy that the speed limit is unreasonably slow.

“While the cameras are making the roads safer, I think 25 mph is just too slow,” Kogod School of Business freshman Ajay Kapoor said.

Other students found Tracy’s signs to be a helpful reminder.

“I was pleasantly surprised to see the signs,” School of Communication sophomore Rowshan Zabi said. “I didn’t know who was behind them, but it was a nice way for me to keep the speed limit in mind.”