American Banquet now open to women

Female contestants were allowed to compete for the first time in this year’s American Banquet April 8.

The previously all-male competition became co-ed because it was sexist, according to Amanda Silva, Residence Hall Association vice president of programming.

A contestant from each residence hall competed in four events to win the title of Mr. or Miss American. The four events included dress, talent, visionary and interview portions.

Tenley Hall contestant Clif Wallace was crowned Mr. American 2011. Wallace’s accumulated the most points in all four competitions, leading led him to his first title. His individual competitions included salsa dancing and drawing a picture of freedom from slavery in the visionary portion.

Sophomore Sean McIntyre, Mr. American 2010, presented Wallace with his red “American” sash after he was announced the winner.

“If you’re going to do this competition, you have to go in with something entertaining,” McIntyre said. “That’s what won it this year. That’s how I won last year.”

Letts/Clark/Roper Hall contestant Dhea Patel won runner-up and Anderson Hall contestant Emily Edwards was second runner-up.

“It’s interesting how the runner-ups were women,” Silva said. “I guess everyone sees the power of allowing anyone to participate.”

The event was a combination of both serious and light-hearted events, ranging from contestants drawing their vision of freedom for one portion of the contest, to Silva asking Hughes Hall contestant Sean Lynch during the interview portion what animal he would like to be reincarnated as.

“That’s a no brainer,” Lynch said. “A walrus is such a simple animal with a glorious life and large stores of blubber to keep you warm. Plus, walruses are attracted to me.”

College of Arts and Sciences junior Robyn Gieringer said she agreed with Silva’s decision to open the competition to women.

“I really liked the event because I heard this was the first year women were allowed to participate,” Gieringer said. “It allowed a lot more opportunity for fun and not just a shallow beauty pageant.”

Freshman Marlena Luhr, co-RHA programming deputy, said she was pleased with the planning that went into the event.

“There were a lot of ideas thrown out to show candidates’ creative energies,” Luhr said. “In the end, the events were a mix for all types of personalities — shy and outgoing.”