Volleyball notches 17th straight win over Navy

The AU volleyball team extended its current winning streak to 17 in a 3-0 victory over Navy in Bender Arena.

The win improved the Eagles overall record to an impressive 23-2 and a 10-0 conference record.

With yet another straight set victory over an opponent, AU has not lost a set in 10 straight matches. The last team to take a set from the Eagles was Colgate University on Sept. 25 in a 3-1 AU victory.

AU was able to come away the victory with relative ease winning the sets by scores of 25-9, 25-20 and 25-12.

The three most dominant players of the match all came from the AU side of the court as seniors Magdalena Tekeil, Ricketts and Waterman were the only players on the court to accumulate double-digit kills. Ricketts led the match with 14 kills and a .722 hitting percentage. Ricketts and Waterman each had 13 kills and finished with hitting percentages of .522 and .345 respectively.

In addition to her 13 kills, Waterman also had 12 digs that made for her fourth double-double of the season. Trailing only Waterman in the match for digs, senior Deborah Frantz contributed 11 digs of her own.

AU had made 11 blocks on the match largely thanks to sophomore Bianca Richardson’s career-high seven block assists. Ricketts also contributed some defensive help with five block assists.

The rest of the season will be on the road, as Eagles will finish out Patriot League play. The next road game for AU will come against The College of the Holy Cross. In their last meeting on Oct. 2 AU beat the Crusaders in straight sets.

Currently they are the Patriot League Division leaders and have already clinched a Patriot League Tournament berth along with Army.

slindauer@theeagleonline.com