Get down to serious work with these quiet, or not-so-quiet study spots

It's Sunday morning. The clock reads 11:00 a.m., and you've hit the snooze button too many times to remember. Slipping out of your grogginess, you realize you've accomplished less than half of the schoolwork you need to have done for Monday. For these times when you are in search of the best location to do some damage control, here are some spots on campus that may serve you well.

Battelle-Tompkins Atrium The Battelle-Tompkins Atrium has the perks of being outside — natural lighting and white noise — without the distractions of squirrels, birds, bugs or passing friends. The small lounge area in the building is home of the College of Arts and Sciences offices, and the quiet comings and goings-on of the offices allow for a calm atmosphere that supports steady work.

Bender Library A classic choice, the library is a fitting choice for both individual study and group work. There are private study rooms on the first floor and incredibly comfortable office chairs in the basement floor that you should score if you are in for a long night. The second floor is the "quiet floor" (the couches near the elevator provide a view of the quad), and the Mudbox on the lower level offers the important study tools of caffeine and sugar. The library rents laptops, headphones, locks and other supplies, but it can be a hunt to find a socket to plug in your electronics. Bender Library is open 24 hours a day Sunday to Thursday, and closes at 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

"The Beach" If you require some extra vitamin D and a little background noise to study, claim a spot on "The Beach." The Beach is that scraggly patch of grass between Mary Graydon Center and South side dorms frequently covered with sunbathers and Frisbee-throwers. Generally quieter than the Quad, the Beach is a good option when you need some fresh air to complete a reading assignment. The only catch: You might get distracted people-watching. But you'll probably get a tan too.

The Davenport Lounge After moving from its original location in the old School of International Service building, The Davenport Lounge is a promising place to curl up with coffee and get your study on. The intimate setting and warm colors give the Davenport a relaxed, academic atmosphere, with enough background noise to prevent any deafening silence. Often called the "Dav," this coffee shop will have brand new equipment to keep up with the steady stream of students between classes and will have a more intuitive layout to help with line management. The Dav is overall a great place to go to relax, curl up with a book and get things done.

Dorm study lounges If you are particularly distracted by noise, check out the sound vacuums that are the Anderson and Letts Hall study lounges. Comfortable couches and numerous tables will surround you in a studious environment, so head to the Letts or Anderson study lounges if you need to force yourself to finish an assignment on time. The Centennial study rooms are equipped with a wide table so that you can spread out and stay focused. The Hughes formal lounge is has many tables and chairs, and people are often dispersed throughout the room to get their last bit of homework done.

The Katzen Arts Center The Katzen building across Massachusetts Avenue from main campus is not only home to AU's art student population, but it is also a good outlet for a quick escape. From the moment you enter, the muted noises of busy students and the beams of light from the overhead sunroofs will create an atmosphere of quiet concentration. The two floors of the main complex are peppered with an assortment of comfortable lounge seats.

Kay Spiritual Life Center Basement While AU's chaplains and others may sometimes reserve this space for events, services and meetings, it can also be a great place to peek in and grab a seat for some study time. The staff of the chaplains' offices are friendly passers-by in this generally quiet environment.

Main Quad If you feel like taking a break from the stifling busybody environment of the library, take your books outside for a change. The Main Quad is an excellent place to read a book, take a nap or just have a pow-wow with some friends. Naturally, it's also a great way to mingle and make new friends, as you're likely to see fellow students hanging out in between classes or playing impromptu games of Frisbee or volleyball.

Picnic tables between McDowell and Hughes (next to the giant statue from Easter Island) Another great outdoor location, the picnic tables on the deck behind McDowell and Hughes are just secluded enough to foster focus without feeling claustrophobic. The hustle and bustle of outdoor activity is kept to a minimum in this spot, but you still get the fresh air, sunlight and other advantages of being outdoors.

Mary Graydon Center and Ward Lobby At a glance, the first floor of the Ward building is remarkably similar to the Mary Graydon Center lobby. While not exactly the most ideal places to study on campus, they conveniently come equipped with food and snack outlets. If you have an early class, familiarize yourself with these locations. They are excellent spots to brush up on some last minute notes before class while sipping on morning coffee and having a quick bite to eat.