HEALTHY DEBATE — RNC Chairman Michael Steele and DLC Chairman Harold Ford Jr. entertained parents and students Oct. 24 in Bender Arena.

Steele, Ford Jr. argue health care

Both spoke on need for policy reform

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele and Democratic Leadership Council Chairman Harold Ford Jr. explored areas of agreement and contention between their political parties on health care reform Oct. 24 at a Kennedy Political Union event hosted in Bender Arena.

Professor James Thurber, who directs AU’s Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies moderated the well-attended discussion.

Steele said he disagrees “with this notion that some Republicans are against the president putting together health care reform or doing anything with health care reform.”

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” Steele said. “There have been over 800 individual pieces of legislation and amendments proposed in the House that eventually led to H.R. 3200 ... that were summarily rejected by the Democratic committee chairman.”

An interview with Harold Ford Jr. HOWIE PERLMAN / THE EAGLE

An interview with Michael Steele HOWIE PERLMAN / THE EAGLE

The Senate would also have to pass a bill on health care reform before President Barack Obama would have the opportunity to sign into law the health care reform measures under consideration in Congress.

One out of every two household bankruptcies in the United States results from “exploding health care costs,” Ford said. Americans spend about $2.25 trillion annually on health care, and about 45 million Americans do not have health insurance, he said.

Ford said he disagrees with people who say the government should not be involved in the delivery of health care in the United States.

“Arguably, the most successful health care program the nation has ever known is a government-run program called Medicare,” Ford said. “So for those who believe government cannot efficiently administer a health care system, I would put forward that as at least some evidence that there is at least hope, if not reality, that government, when managed correctly, can be involved in the health care system with private enterprise in a way that is efficient and in a way that is smart.”

Steele criticized the Obama administration’s approach to health care reform for moving too quickly. Taking additional time to consider the ramifications of aspects of health care reform could result in a bill that would provide greater benefits to Americans, he said.

“Why do we need to rush this thing through when we can take our time and come up with the type of bill that, yeah, it’s going to create a little pain for both sides, but ultimately is going to benefit the American people?” Steele asked.

Both speakers called for greater collaboration between the Democratic and Republican parties to advance the interests of the United States.

“I think Harold and I kind of represent a generational shift in how we like to see our politics engaged: the free spirit and discussion of ideas back and forth,” Steele said. “We don’t want to have to go to those places that have taken us off of having an intelligent discussion that may actually lead to some sound solutions.”

Ford said level-headed elements within both parties can help lead the way in making the federal government work more effectively for its citizens.

“When government acts in a smart, rational way — when we don’t allow the voices from the left who are nutty, and the voices from the right who are nutty, to dominate the conversation — we get good government, and that’s the direction we should be headed,” Ford said.

The discussion between Steele and Ford was the latest in a series of KPU events that took place during AU’s annual Family and Alumni Weekend.

Brad Barbour, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs who attended the event with his family, said the event reflected the spirit of AU.

“I think that American University has a reputation for political activism and I think the best way to show people what the university is like is by having such a politically involved event,” Barbour said, noting the numerous claps and cheers throughout Ford and Steele’s discussion. “It was obvious that there was a lot of engagement here ... and it was good for the parents to see that their investment is justified.”

You can reach this staff writer at hperlman@theeagleonline.com.