Eagle predicts playoffs

Yankees-Twins

After coming out on top in a close American League Central race, the Minnesota Twins look to have all the momentum in the world. Well, it’s tough to have momentum when the team is hurting as much as the Twins. The team has lost half of its offensive production with first baseman Justin Morneau going down with a back injury. Just having star catcher Joe Mauer may not be enough to compete with the Yankees’ power-packed lineup of stars. The pitching staff is also missing starter Kevin Slowey, meaning there is more pressure on lesser pitchers such as Carl Pavano.

The Yankees come into the series with the best offense in the league and a pitching staff, excluding Joba Chamberlain, that has been a bit rocky, but steadily improving. With pitchers like Alfredo Aceves and Phil Hughes giving the ball to playoff god Mariano Rivera, the Yankees’ bullpen is among the strongest in the AL. Captain Derek Jeter has made his name in the Bronx by being one of the best October performers the team has ever known. The Yankees’ question marks lie in their players who have not been big in the playoffs like Alex Rodriguez and CC Sabathia, who have struggled in October.

Edge: Yankees

Yankees-Tigers

This, of course, requires the Tigers to win their one-game playoff over the Twins. After coming out on top in the close AL Central, the Tigers will look to try and use that momentum against the mighty Yankees who ran away with the AL East. The Tigers pitching staff seems to be built for a short series as they have a great top three with Justin Verlander, Rick Porcello and Edwin Jackson. Having a strong top of the rotation is incredibly important for any team’s success in the postseason. The only problem for the Tigers is that they need to produce more runs if they want to advance to the ALCS.

New York, who has the best offense in baseball, is going to prove challenging to the Tigers, since just about anything flies out of the new Yankee Stadium. If the Yankees’ offense decides not to show up, Detroit’s pitching staff will make the Bronx Bombers look silly. The Yankees do have the edge in experience, as they have some of the best playoff performers in recent history with shortstop Jeter and closer Rivera. Detroit’s chances of winning this series comes down to completely shutting down the Yankees’ offense, and right now, that looks unlikely.

Edge: Yankees

Red Sox-Angels

The Red Sox are coming into the playoffs a bit more hobbled than they would like. Starting pitcher Tim Wakefield, who had a first half to remember and a second half to forget, has been completely unreliable since his injury. Daisuke Matsuzaka is healthy now, but there is no telling how well he will hold up in the playoffs. As a result, it comes down to the top guns; Josh Beckett and Jon Lester. If the Angels can get to one of these pitchers, Boston is in trouble. The Sox’s offense should continue to be consistent despite an old Mike Lowell and Jason Varitek. Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia and Victor Martinez all have proved to be clutch hitters against the AL.

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have once again taken the West with relative ease and are looking to try to take down Boston in October. The Angels have brought in some major reinforcements with Torii Hunter and Bobby Abreu to provide some more pop. Anaheim’s starting rotation is better than their stats would show. Jered Weaver, John Lackey and Joe Saunders may be able to finally put the Sox out of the playoffs in the first round. History is working against the Angels though, as they have never eliminated the Red Sox.

Edge: Red Sox

Rockies-Phillies

The Rockies have managed to get their feet in the door again and will be playing some October ball against last year’s World Series Champs, the Philadelphia Phillies. The Rockies are led by shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who has had a fantastic year after a rough 2008. Normally known for their offense, Colorado has had some solid starting pitching this year, as they have three pitchers with at least 15 wins. Jason Marquis, Ubaldo Jimenez and Jorge De La Rosa may not be household names, but if they are able to quiet the bats in the Phillies, lineup teams around the league will take notice.

The Phillies are looking more like Colorado teams of the past, as their offense has bailed out a starting rotation that has been pretty average this season. Philadelphia’s lineup has some of the best power hitters in the league; including Ryan Howard, Chase Utley and Jason Werth. The team’s Achilles Heel is in their starting rotation and the end of their bullpen. Starters Cole Hamels and Joe Blanton have not been the strong starters they need to be for this team to win a World Series. Luckily they are just trying to win the ALDS and a home run hitting lineup may be enough to advance.

Edge: Phillies

Cardinals-Dodgers

The Dodgers are heading into the playoffs with the best record in the National League, but their opponent, the St. Louis Cardinals, are looking like the better ballclub. They still have the best record despite not having a single starter win more than 12 games. Their best hitter is Andre Ethier while Manny Ramirez is not being Manny. The Dodgers will have to get strong starts out of Jon Garland and Chad Billingsley if they want a shot at taking down the Cardinals.

The St. Louis Cardinals have had great second halves establishing themselves as the team to beat in the National League. Besides having the best hitter in the game with Albert Pujols, the Cardinals have had strong seasons from Ryan Ludwick and ousted Oakland A, Matt Holliday. The real secret to their success has been the comeback season of Chris Carpenter, who has put up pristine numbers with 17 wins and an ERA of 2.224. It also helps to have Cy Young contender Adam Wainwright starting on the hill. It looks to be a long series for the Dodgers, or more accurately, a short one.

Edge: Cardinals

You can reach this staff writer at slindauer@theeagleonline.com.