Competition heats up in UEFA qualifying matches

The playoff games determining the final four Union of European Football Association’s qualifying spots in next summer’s World Cup in South Africa have been set. All four games are going to be close, since when it comes down to just one game anything can happen.

Ireland competed hard all through qualifying and just missed out on an automatic berth. The team played some of the most competitive one-goal games in all of European qualifying. France is riding a wave of good play, as they have scrambled over the last four match dates to secure the playoff spot, despite playing horribly in the first half of qualifying. Ireland will take this tie 2-1 after some tough physical play, with not many goal-scoring opportunities.

Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Portugal: Like any good team, Portugal is saying they are not going to overlook their opponents. Still, Portugal can all but book their plane tickets to South Africa. With arguably the best player in the world, Cristiano Ronaldo, leading the charge, it will be difficult for the soft Bosnian back line to stop the attacks from coming fast and furiously. In a lopsided tilt, Portugal wins 4-0.

Ukraine vs. Greece: Both of these teams are equally deserving of the qualifying spot that they are going after. Greece won the European Championships in 2004 and has been tough competitors in all of their big games since. Greece finished just one-point back of the Swiss in their qualifying group and could have easily swung one of their draws to a win. Ukraine looks to be coming on strong, however, as they beat England for the first time in qualifying at home on Oct. 10. This could easily go either way, but Ukraine will pull out the win and take it 3-1 thanks to stellar play in the harsh Eastern European conditions.

Slovenia vs. Russia: Russia found themselves at the top of their group — that is, until Germany stormed in to Moscow and stole a 1-0 decision with 10 men. Russia is young, fast and showed they can put it all together during the European Championships in 2008. If they do make it through to South Africa, this team will be on many teams’ radar as a team that could be a dark horse and make a deep run. Slovenia comes in as a relative unknown, despite only allowing four goals over the course of qualifying. Russia doesn’t disappoint, as they easily glide to a 4-1 aggregate win and begin preparing to spend their summer on the sunny beaches of South Africa.

You can reach this writer at

sports@theeagleonline.com.