Adjunct professors teach for joy, not benefits

Adjunct professors at AU receive minimal benefits compared to full-time professors, according to Sarah Canadine Bayne, director of Employee Benefits and Communication at AU Human Resources.

Adjuncts typically are instructors at a university who have outside jobs and teach classes related to that field. Adjuncts are only allowed to work a certain number of hours so that they don’t become eligible for benefits. They make an average of $20,000 a year, less than full-time professors make, according to the Chronicle for Higher Education.

AU adjuncts fit this description, yet are eligible for “miscellaneous benefits,” Bayne said.

Jerrold Keilson, an adjunct professor in the School of Public Affairs, said he relies on his full-time job rather than his position at AU for benefits.

“There are [no benefits] ... For those adjuncts who rely on their adjunct appointments for their livelihood, to not receive health or retirement benefits is a real problem,” Keilson said. “In my case, it would be nice if we could receive some of the tuition benefits that full-time faculty and staff have for themselves and their children.”

There are miscellaneous benefits any professor may take advantage of, such as membership at the Jacobs Fitness Center and a credit union, Bayne said. Additionally, many adjunct professors are former full-time faculty members.

Full-time faculty members receive health, dental and retirement benefits. Part-time and adjunct faculty do not, Bayne said.

All AU employees have paid leave benefits under the D.C. Accrued Sick and Safe Leave Act. This allows professors to continue receiving their salaries even if they must take a leave of absence for illness, to take care of a sick family member or are victims of sexual and/or domestic violence, she said.

Keilson thinks it is more than just health benefits the adjunct professors miss.

“Frankly, it also would be nice if there were semi-private adjunct offices, maybe three or four adjuncts could share one office on a regular basis so we could schedule use and leave our books there, rather than the current arrangement, which is not very professional,” he said.

For adjunct professors working in the Ward building, there are a few desks available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Sometimes this system is adequate and other times it’s not, according to Keilson.

However, these matters are not enough to prevent Keilson from teaching.

“I get a real joy and lift out of teaching at AU ... So at the end of the day the issues such as office space are pretty inconsequential — I teach at AU because I want to and because AU wants me. So it is a very satisfactory relationship,” he said.

You can reach this staff writer at srudnick@theeagleonline.com.