MacCracken names Comptroller nominee

Student Government President Andy MacCracken nominated Alan Chang, a senior in the Kogod School of Business, to replace former Comptroller Matt Handverger, Saturday, Sept. 26.

Chang was one of four applicants who applied for the position. He stood out from the other applicants in all areas, with significant experience in financial affairs in and out of the classroom, according to MacCracken.

Chang also gained valuable experience by working for his father’s company, Soxland Industrial Inc., doing cost control/analysis, he said.

“I cannot think of more I could ask for in terms of fiduciary experience,” MacCracken said in a statement. “His leadership style will make him a strong member of the executive team and boost confidence in the office of comptroller.”

The office of comptroller was vacated Sept. 9, when former Comptroller Matt Handverger resigned after three sessions of impeachment proceedings. Senator at Large Jared Alves charged Handverger with negligence and violation of the oath of office. After three days of impeachment hearings, Alves dropped the charges. Handverger felt that he could no longer work effectively with the SG and resigned a week later.

However, Chang believes that the extra scrutiny he will receive due to the controversial exit of his predecessor will help him do his job correctly.

“I want to know if I am doing a good job and when I’m not,” Chang said in an e-mail. “I do not mind people checking up on me, and making sure I am doing my job right.”

Chang does not have experience working within the SG and has limited knowledge of the AUTO and Bike Lending programs — two departments the comptroller is directly responsible for overseeing. None of the other applicants had much experience with those programs either, according to MacCracken.

“In my time overseeing AUTO, I can say that extensive time driving vans is by no means a requisite for successfully managing ... the AUTO software,” MacCracken said.

Chang said he would work hard to familiarize himself with the SG by talking with current and former members of the SG.

“There are many people in SG with a lot of experience to share,” he said. “I will work with and communicate with as many of them as possible to ensure that I can carry out my job properly.”

You can reach this staff writer at cszold@theeagleonline.com.